Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Headphone jack and gain pads

Started by rockaffe, April 17, 2023, 02:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockaffe

Hello everyone, I'm doing the veroboard layout for the honey amp but, as I'm not yet very familiar with reading schematics, I'd like to ask for some advice.
The first concerns the connection of the headphone jack, which I solved as follows:

You cannot view this attachment.

Is that correct?

The second concerns this part of the circuit:

Does it mean that pins 1 and 8 of the IC need to be connected to lugs 1 and 2 of the gain pot?

Thank you!

joecool85

Quote from: rockaffe on April 17, 2023, 02:31:14 PMHello everyone, I'm doing the veroboard layout for the honey amp but, as I'm not yet very familiar with reading schematics, I'd like to ask for some advice.
The first concerns the connection of the headphone jack, which I solved as follows:

Is that correct?

Does it mean that pins 1 and 8 of the IC need to be connected to lugs 1 and 2 of the gain pot?

Thank you!

Do you mean you are creating your own vero layout?  I haven't seen one for this yet.

Regarding the headphone jack, it is designed for a switching jack.  You have the blue line connecting two pins and it shouldn't do this.  It should go from board to the jack, then jack to the speaker.  When nothing is plugged in it goes straight to the speaker, when something is plugged in, it cuts off the speaker and only goes to the phones.

Regarding the gain pads, these can be left unpopulated.  The regular gain control goes inline at the start of the circuit (effectively a volume control before the preamp stage).  Those two gain pads are for increasing the gain of the power amp (lm386).  With a bunch of testing, I've found that I can get any more clean volume out of the lm386 at more than the stock 20x gain setting.  If you want more gain though, crank it up!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

rockaffe

Quote from: joecool85 on April 17, 2023, 09:37:34 PM
Quote from: rockaffe on April 17, 2023, 02:31:14 PMHello everyone, I'm doing the veroboard layout for the honey amp but, as I'm not yet very familiar with reading schematics, I'd like to ask for some advice.

Is that correct?

Thank you!

Do you mean you are creating your own vero layout?  I haven't seen one for this yet.

Regarding the headphone jack, it is designed for a switching jack.  You have the blue line connecting two pins and it shouldn't do this.  It should go from board to the jack, then jack to the speaker.  When nothing is plugged in it goes straight to the speaker, when something is plugged in, it cuts off the speaker and only goes to the phones.

Regarding the gain pads, these can be left unpopulated.  The regular gain control goes inline at the start of the circuit (effectively a volume control before the preamp stage).  Those two gain pads are for increasing the gain of the power amp (lm386).  With a bunch of testing, I've found that I can get any more clean volume out of the lm386 at more than the stock 20x gain setting.  If you want more gain though, crank it up!

Thanks for your time! Yes, I'm creating a vero layout for this one.