Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Can anyone identify this tube

Started by Fossilshark, June 20, 2016, 07:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fossilshark

I ordered some tubes from the communist states of Russia the other day (no offense to my Russian friends!) They were supposed to be ecl8 tubes (for the low voltage tube amp on hackaday) but the ecl8 has 9 pins and these only have 7, im confused by this. They say "6X2П-EB" and are much shorter then most other tubes i have.

sa230e

A quick google search reveals them to be a rough equivalent of a 6AL5 which is a double diode. The ECL82 is a triode and pentode in a single bottle. The two have nothing in common.

Edit: further googling indicates that the 6Ф3П (6F3P) is the Russian equivalent (or near equivalent) of the ECL82 / 6BM8.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ecl82.html

Fossilshark

Crap i dont have the right tubes, thanks. But since these are diodes could they be used for some kind of weird diode clipping distortion? Or is that something id have to mess with on my own

sa230e

Quote from: Fossilshark on June 20, 2016, 11:01:22 PM
Crap i dont have the right tubes, thanks. But since these are diodes could they be used for some kind of weird diode clipping distortion? Or is that something id have to mess with on my own

Maybe? I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

phatt

Fender performer 1000 and likely a few other wacky amps use that idea.
The above uses an AX7 wired as a diode to do the clipping,, might give you some idea of how it's done.

A complete waste of time but hey it has a Valve so the ignorant masses will suck it up,,, money to be made,,,meanwhile the marketing department is rubbing hands with glee. Hint. 8|

My advice send the Valve back. :tu:

BTW,,The Hackaday circuit will sound horrible on 40Volts. Assuming it's the circuit you mentioned?
There are far easier (cheaper) ways to get great OD/fuzz/Distortion.
Phil.

J M Fahey

A great way to use noisy/weak/worn/gassy/microphonic tube rejects.

" Hey Mom, they have a FULL REAL 12AX7 inside !!!!!!!! "  xP

Matec

sa230e