Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Drummer & 1st Year Electronics Technologist Student......Question

Started by GERRY_MAN, February 27, 2010, 09:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GERRY_MAN

Hi Folks, :tu:

I'm a current Electronics student and I've started to build effects pedal circuits of various types. I have built several different circuits and I'm loving it. I have a full lab in my basement with a PCB etching station and a bench with all the tools:

Multi-meter, oscilloscope, Function Gen. Frequency counter, Programmable power supply and a Spectrum Analyzer.
I've mostly been building pre-existing circuit designs that I've found on the web.

I'm looking at attempting to start designing my own circuits. I'm wondering if any of you Electronics Gurus out there could recommend any good Texts, that in your opinion would be an asset to read if I'm going to be getting into the design area of things?

I've just started my Analog Electronics II course, and this Term we are covering: Filter Circuits, Resonance, Transistor functions, And many Transistor/OP-amp amplifier circuits.

So I'm hoping after this semester I will have a better understanding of these circuit functions. However, If there is any additional material that anyone would think is a good idea to check out in advance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Regards,
Gerry O'Brien 

Guitarist

Hello Gerry man. Howard M. Berlin's "Design of Active Filters: With Experiments" is a good book. It will give you a good understanding of filters and expand your knowledge of clever ways of using them. It covers analog filters based on the 741. These days other opamps such as the TLO72 will yield even better results. Knowing this will also give you a better understanding of using digital filters. Keep in mind that filters are't just tone controls, and can be used for envelope shaping, amplifier control, even control of other filters, or for that matter even control of lights. From there, your imagination can take over. It is remarkable what effects you can make with creative use of filters. Have fun.

phatt

Hi Jerry,, Welcome.

Under *Amplifier Discussion*
You'll find a post about Amplifier Book Written by Teemu.
FREE PDF download.

If you have money to throw at books then hunt down
*Art of Elecronics by Horowitz and Hill*
not cheap but even a mug like me got the gisst of how Audio amplification works.
Phil.