Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Vox AC30ss

Started by dkelly35, August 29, 2013, 05:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkelly35

Hi everyone, I am currently in possession of a Vox AC30ss however I think the circuit board is fried. I live in a remote area in Ireland and finding people with the skills and knowledge to fix it is proving really hard (I've been searching for nearly 4 years!!!!!).

Basically I need some advice as to whether I should scrap it or work on it or even sell it for parts i.e. speakers?

Thanks, Dan.

J M Fahey

4 years?  :o

Scrapping it would be a crime, and you don't seem inclined to repair it yourself, so least bad is to publish it at some EBay equivalent or whatever, stating it needs repair, and accept first reasonable offer.

Enzo

Or pick a time to travel, make it a holiday, and take the thing however far away you must to a place where there are repair techs.   See the world and get the amp fixed all in one effort.

Roly

Welcome Dan.  If you really can't find anyone over four years in the 500km by 250km of Ireland (well populated by mad musicians and not doubt support crew), then there is only one thing for it, fix it yourself! 

Okay, it's a pretty cruddy circuit drawing, but it's a also a pretty straight forward solid state amp, even uses our old favorite the 2N3055 in the output.

Now, you will need a multimeter, about $10 should buy you a suitable digital one if you don't already have one.

Some questions:

Did you witness the original failure?  If so, what happened?

Dumb stuff; there are two fuses - are these intact or blown? (if you already know that it just blows replacement fuses do not put any more in at this stage, it's a waste of fuses and may do more damage).

If it isn't blowing fuses, does it make any noises at all?  Describe.

If it does make noises, do they change at all by varying any of the controls?

We collectively have a pretty good track record here for getting people/amps going again, and this is not a particularly complicated amp, so first we diagnose, then you repair.  After four years another week or two won't hurt.

I can't find a layout, so a couple of crisp internal underchassis pix would be a help.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Given that's a simple, classical, "by the book" design, with standard parts, and the schematic is available, I bet many a local "TV repair" guy can handle it.

FWIW it's *much* simpler than, say, a Home Theater system or a TV set.