Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Thoughts on my new Honey Amp

Started by mckayprod, July 28, 2021, 11:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckayprod

I just built mine over the weekend, and I want to start by saying "thanks" for adding a project to all the conversations and information on the forum.  This is a good way to bring it all together and stimulate more discussion.

Next, stuff I like: Excellent board, quality components...real pro stuff and I appreciate that. The distortion sound is smoother than I expected, especially on the higher-gain end of the tone range. The tone control mellows out any fizziness which could be a problem depending on your guitar/headphones/speaker.

And, my criticisms: Too much distortion, and not enough volume with the gain turned down to the edge of breakup.  I'll modify it to the clean buffer preamp option one of these days. No power switch, but I can understand the omission, since this is supposed to be highly customizable. I have to pop the battery connectors to power down, but my enclosure choice makes that easy enough. Finally, what can you say about the lack of volume from a LM386 that hasn't been said before?  I'm running two 9v in series for +18-ish volts, and this is sufficient for headphones, but just.  I haven't tried a speaker yet.

That's my experience, and I look forward to more SSGuitar projects and discussions!

Jazz P Bass

" No power switch, but I can understand the omission, since this is supposed to be highly customizable. I have to pop the battery connectors to power down, but my enclosure choice makes that easy enough"

You could try a 3 prong switching jack that disconnects the battery ground when no cord is inserted.

Like pedals use.

joecool85

Quote from: Jazz P Bass on July 28, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
" No power switch, but I can understand the omission, since this is supposed to be highly customizable. I have to pop the battery connectors to power down, but my enclosure choice makes that easy enough"

You could try a 3 prong switching jack that disconnects the battery ground when no cord is inserted.

Like pedals use.

Or just wire a switch inline with the battery - that's what I do.  I'm not a fan of onboard power switching, even when it is for a battery amp.

Regarding power output, it is an LM386 so it's about as loud as I could get it.  If you need more headphone volume, try using a lower resistance value for R10.  If you use 10 ohm it should just about blow your ear drums with any normal headphones - mine certainly did!

I'm planning another battery based kit, probably power amp only.  This one would be based on the PAM8302 which gives 2.5w and runs on a really low voltage of 5v nominal.  I've been playing with the board from Adafruit and it's significantly louder than any LM386 circuit I've used.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

argenta

Hi there, I am interested in the Honey Amp kit. Where can I purchase please?
Cheers
Rhea

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on August 02, 2021, 06:05:35 AM
Cheers
Rhea

Argenta,

I'll be adding a web store soon to the site so you can purchase there.  If you'd like one sooner than that, please PM me and we can do a direct sale.
thatraymond.com

joecool85

Quote from: argenta on August 02, 2021, 06:05:35 AM
Cheers
Rhea

PM Sent.
thatraymond.com

mckayprod

QuoteI'm planning another battery based kit, probably power amp only.  This one would be based on the PAM8302 which gives 2.5w and runs on a really low voltage of 5v nominal.

Looking forward to this one.  2.5w is about all I'd need with a speaker.  Consider a basic preamp board to go with it.  Thanks again!

Tassieviking

Wondering if the 2.5Watt  will be called Bumble Bee ?
Then I can't wait for the Wasp and finally the Hornet.
I might have to get a Jensen MOD 5" 30watt 8ohm Speaker in anticipation.
Love the work Joecoolo85, keep it up.   :dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

joecool85

Quote from: Tassieviking on February 04, 2022, 12:07:41 AM
Wondering if the 2.5Watt  will be called Bumble Bee ?
Then I can't wait for the Wasp and finally the Hornet.
I might have to get a Jensen MOD 5" 30watt 8ohm Speaker in anticipation.
Love the work Joecoolo85, keep it up.   :dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:

It's good to hear that folks are interested in another project.  The 2.5w circuit is all tested and working, I now need to design the board and get it printed.  This one is poweramp only but does include a nice buffer at the front so you should be able to put just about anything in front of it.

I have another one in my head that is a 20w class d circuit, but lack of time for these projects has kept it only on the drawing board so far.

As to the names, I really like that idea to call it the Bumble Bee!  I'll let you know if I use it!
thatraymond.com

Tassieviking

20watt, not big enough to be called the "Killer Bee"
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.