Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:59:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Removing the power switch "pop"

Started by mckayprod, May 08, 2018, 09:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mckayprod

My Fender Champion 110 pops when I shut off the power switch.  I find the same problem, but louder, in the Frontman 15R we use as a bench amp in the guitar shop I work at.  I think the amps are pretty similar, so I think the same fix should work on both.  SO...what's the fix?  We used to cut switching noise by adding a cap across the contacts but I don't remember the value of the cap and I'm not sure the problem is the same (this was a remote switch for a broadcast turntable which was generating a spike that the preamp picked up).

Seems like this symptom is common with solid state amps.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jazz P Bass

To find out if it is a swiching problem, unplug the amp from the outlet with the amp on.

If it then does not pop, you could try adding a capacitor across the switch legs.

Enzo

A lot of amps pop at turn off.  I do not consider it a problem.

mckayprod

I never worried about it either, until I was testing a 2X12 cabinet the other day with two speakers that had some serious bass response (Fane A60s).  That pop was loud, and I feared for the drivers.  Maybe just an annoyance, but better equipment is quieter, no?  I'll try the power lead trick and see where that leads me.

Enzo

They can be loud, but keep in mind the pop won;t be any louder than the amp can get with signal.