Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Simmons DA200S Drum Amplifier: Damaged Power Amp PCB

Started by troyo911, February 11, 2015, 10:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troyo911

Hi

Hoping someone can help me out here. Before I get started please know that I am a complete novice to this stuff...

Quick background on my dilemma: I live in Australia where the wall voltage is 240V. I purchased a Simmons DA200S drum amplifier from the USA, and not realizing the amp had a max voltage of 120V I plugged it in to my wall and immediately blew the amp as soon as I switched it on (yes I know I am an idiot, expensive lesson learned).

So anyway I have taken the amp to a technician to repair and he said that all 4 output I.C.'s are blown. He can fix this for a price so that is all fine.

However, the tricky part is that the power amp PCB is also damaged and unrepairable. I've sent an email to the manufacturer (Simmons) but have yet to get a reply. So I am wondering if there is any other way to track down and purchase a compatible power amp PCB?

Here are the identification number details of the power amp PCB. Hopefully they might mean something more to you guys than they do to me!

HY284761408
E253936
HY-1
94v-0
DA200S Drum Amp
Power Amp PCB, REV G
28JUN2012 fc LWJ

Image of original power amp PCB is below (its upside down, sorry!):

I guess my main question is that, if I am unable to obtain this replacement part from the manufacturer, if there another way to get a similar compatible part that could be used in the repair of my amp?

Thanks for reading, any help is greatly appreciated.

g1

Nothing in that picture looks non-repairable, so I don't know why he would want to replace the board rather than fix it.  Perhaps he does not really repair things at component level, in which case you will need a different tech.
  Suggest you contact this fellow to get a copy of the schematics:
http://rolandtd9review.com/simmons-da200s-schematics

Roly

Hi troyo911, welcome.

A few Aussies on here, I'm near Ballarat.

Quote from: g1in which case you will need a different tech.

:dbtu:

Replacing the whole board is pretty much a non starter for economic reasons (price and shipping, even if they can/will supply), however the only damaged boards I've ever had to deal with that were totally unrepairable history have been those that have suffered a lightning strike that has blown most of the copper off the board and rolling around as a pile of copper beads in the bottom of the case.

I've repaired many boards that have suffered track damage and it's just a matter of cleaning it up and replacing the missing tracks with wire bridges (and any dead components of course).  After cleaning the path of the damaged tracks is normally pretty obvious, the missing track path is typically a bit shiny and easily seen.

If you are still looking for a tech try this list;
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/valvetechs.htm

To do a proper repair the power transformer will also need to be replaced with one that has a 240V primary, but I wouldn't expect that to be any big deal or expense.

As g1 says, hit this guy up for copies of the circuits/schematics and post them here (and you'll earn Hero status  ;) )
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

troyo911

Quote from: Roly on February 11, 2015, 04:02:46 PM

If you are still looking for a tech try this list;
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/valvetechs.htm

To do a proper repair the power transformer will also need to be replaced with one that has a 240V primary, but I wouldn't expect that to be any big deal or expense.

As g1 says, hit this guy up for copies of the circuits/schematics and post them here (and you'll earn Hero status  ;) )

Hey guys thanks for the replies I really appreciate it.

The bloke that's fixing the amp for me is one of the 2 sources from WA in that valvetechs list so unfortunately my options are limited in that regard.

I've since purchased a voltage stepdown converter so don't think I'll need to replace the power transformer if I just use that instead?

I've sent a request off for the schematics. Will this help my tech be able to repair the power amp pcb? The cost of repair is already quoted at about $250 (all 4 output I.C.'s are blown) and the manufacturer has stated they can do a cheap deal on a new unit for me for about $300AUD including shipping (retail price is up near $500 including shipping). I'm guessing that repairing the power amp pcb will just increase the repair cost, so its probably better off just cutting my losses and getting a new unit?

DrGonz78

Yeah I would buy a new one if it was going to cost that much to repair. Sell the damaged item somewhere online for some pocket change. Or keep the old one for later if you want to learn how to repair it and/or for parts. Personally, I think your repair tech is quoting a very high figure as he really does not want to work on it. Just my 2 cents... :afro:
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

troyo911

Thanks for the info ill keep Mike's details for next time I do something stupid to my new amp... but this time I have already told the tech to scrap the amp (I wasn't charged). To be completely honest I already managed to get my money back for the purchase so I'll just buy the new amp at reduced price as it saves me all the running around.