Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Cr 112 Hum

Started by clamup1, January 02, 2011, 04:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clamup1

ok point taken. i have some stomp boxes i need to build and then read up on this. thanks for your help

joecool85

Quote from: clamup1 on January 05, 2011, 09:14:34 AM
ok point taken. i have some stomp boxes i need to build and then read up on this. thanks for your help

Good to hear.  Stomp boxes are a great starting point.  That's actually how I started in this hobby.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Go step by step and in no time you will be repairing and building great amplifiers.
I always suggest everybody to start reading *Physics* before getting into electronics proper , which, after all, is part of it.
Learning first, from a Physics point of view,  what's a capacitor, a resistor, an electron, a Volt, an Ampere, a Watt, a conductor, an insulator, a battery, a transformer, etc. makes much easier and solid what comes next.
As you see, all parts I mentioned *are* used in electronic products, so you are not wasting time at all .
I suggest my friend and clients who ask me so, to get the "Elecricity and Magnetism" chapters of Physics books which are used in High Schools or equivalent, when you are around 17/18 years old.
School systems have different organization around the world, but the age group should be an indication.
After that, get a copy of Jack Darr's "Guitar amplifiers". I started with it and never stopped.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 05, 2011, 03:32:36 PM
After that, get a copy of Jack Darr's "Guitar amplifiers". I started with it and never stopped.

I might have to get myself a copy of that.  Here is the newest version of it (4th edition) on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Amplifier-Handbook-Jack/dp/1882580486/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294261307&sr=1-2
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

That book is *GOOD* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check that the new ones cost U$27 and the *used* ones go from U$45 to over U$200 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why?: because when you have it you don't let it go !!!!
I bought one in 1969; my first build was a Gibson GA5 ; then a Fender Bassman (2x6L6) ; then an Ampeg BT15 preamp coupled to a Motorola 120W SS amp.
I have already made over 10000 amplifiers since February 1969.
Being in Argentina helped a lot, of course; it would have been impossible in the US.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 06, 2011, 10:46:47 AM
That book is *GOOD* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check that the new ones cost U$27 and the *used* ones go from U$45 to over U$200 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why?: because when you have it you don't let it go !!!!
I bought one in 1969; my first build was a Gibson GA5 ; then a Fender Bassman (2x6L6) ; then an Ampeg BT15 preamp coupled to a Motorola 120W SS amp.
I have already made over 10000 amplifiers since February 1969.
Being in Argentina helped a lot, of course; it would have been impossible in the US.

10,000 amps!  Wow.  I've made like...7.  I have another one in the works though.
thatraymond.com

clamup1

i want to build the AX84 P1-extreme Tube Guitar Amplifier Kit - here http://www.ax84.com/ under amp kits. possible after i read the book and after i fix the crate.

@Fahey- i found an online physics book and read the recommended chapters. i want to take a physics class now lol. the book is on its way

joecool85

Quote from: clamup1 on January 07, 2011, 09:15:01 AM
@Fahey- i found an online physics book and read the recommended chapters. i want to take a physics class now lol. the book is on its way

That drive for wanting to learn will help you immensely in this field.
thatraymond.com

clamup1

ha we got censored. thats funny

joecool85

Quote from: clamup1 on January 08, 2011, 08:31:09 PM
ha we got censored. thats funny

Where?  Did I miss something?
thatraymond.com

clamup1

fahey was telling us about his amp business. if shipping wasnt so expensive from Argentina he prob would of sold 2 yesterday lol.

J M Fahey

Thanks.
Working to solve that problem, some way or another.
Definitely, the real solution is to send a cubic meter of anything (not kidding) by ship, to any point in US, and then distribute/resend within the borders, which is relatively cheap.
That's what I'm doing to sell in Brazil (*huge* market, just starting).
Individual Air Mail from Argentina is out of the question.
And yes, the
Quotereal straight forward no b.s. look to them
, both in cosmetics and electrical design is the driving idea behind them.
See you.

joecool85

Quote from: clamup1 on January 09, 2011, 08:22:10 AM
fahey was telling us about his amp business. if shipping wasnt so expensive from Argentina he prob would of sold 2 yesterday lol.

Ah, I split the thread, that part is now here: http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1994
thatraymond.com