Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

very loud carlsbro

Started by rosskoko, February 08, 2010, 02:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosskoko

I am very new to this electronic stuff so please be gentle.
my carlsbro scorpion (i think) has got very loud. i cannot turn it up much at all, just off zero and the loudness comes, 1/4 way is pretty loud and 1/2 way is too much. what can cause this? the amp is an old one, i think 70's or 80's it has 2x12 20w celestion speakers. there are no markings on it to say which model or serial number it is. anyone got any ideas?

J M Fahey

Hi rosskoko, don't worry, this board is chock full of great people.
Please post whatever inscripyions are on the volume pot.
Probably you have a Linear pot where there should be a Logarithmic or Audio type, but we are only guessing.
Other possibility is that its inner track cracked, so after the crack you have practically full volume, even if you are on "2".
Finally you might be hitting it with a much louder signal than it expects.
What are you plugging where?

rosskoko

I have changed the volume pot. the original was a 22k so i have fitted a new 22k. Im just plugging in an ibanez AS73B. it does'nt matter if I plug into the bright or soft jack it is still very loud.

J M Fahey

Hi rosskoko.
22K pots come in linear and Log or Audio flavors, please post any inscription that's on it.
Do you have a multimeter?

rosskoko

the pot just says 22k. it is a linear pot. i have fitted a new 22k linear pot but there is no change.
and yes I do have a multimeter.

J M Fahey

Then that's the problem, lin pots start too fast.
Use an Audio/A curve/Logarithmic 22k pot.