Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:24:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Looking for a (really) good solid state amp for punk...

Started by blinkdude182, October 25, 2008, 09:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blinkdude182

Hey, i always see or hear about amps that try to advertize themselves as being amp to produce "brutal metal distortion" and blah blah blah but are there any good solid state amps out there that can do a good 90s style punk sound (old Blink, old Green Day, Screeching Weasel, The Queers, etc...? my ideal sound would be somewhere between a Mark II and a Rectifier y'know not death metal (ugh!) but a good chunky heavy distortion. can somebody help me out?? thanks so much!

decoy3a

you know I keep hearing mixed reviews on the MG series from Marshall. I never tried one but theres a good amount of vids on youtube for amps and stuff. Personally I'd get an old laney or maybe even a Fender princeton 112. Just put a boss ds-1 on either and you got something there. just my opinion and I'm sure someone will say that my choices are wrong but thats my thoughts. Hell I even like Peavey amps if you get the right one they last for decades. Never crate unless your going tube in that case the palomino V16 is amazing.

Jack1962

try the Marshall MG, Valvestat, or Peavey 6505+ .

Rock On

blinkdude182

thanks guys! i recently heard some samples of the ibanez tbx150 on youtube. i thought it sounded better than the marshalls.

tonyharker

YouTube reproduction is such poor quality I'm surprised anyone could tell the difference.  :( :(
Also whatever recorded the sound - is going to have a big effect so don't go by that.
Get down your local store and try them out!   :tu:

Tony

decoy3a

I agree with tony. You may like something that never stood out before. I understand if you can't get to a music store though I live 70 miles from town, but in Alaska thats not as far as in the lower 48. everything is far away up here. anyway just try out some stuff I also like the old marshall Valvestate. great amp. Good luck

oi

blinkdude182

what do you fellas know about the tech 21 trademark 60? i heard it once again on youtube only and it sounded nice but has anyone ever played it?

Jack1962

Quote from: blinkdude182 on October 26, 2008, 09:10:18 PM
what do you fellas know about the tech 21 trademark 60? i heard it once again on youtube only and it sounded nice but has anyone ever played it?

lol-many times , did some mods on 1 yesterday. they are good amps, not what I would use but I play blues and jazz.

Rock On

thekon

i would try marshall valvestate, maybe a pre gibson trace elliot tramp, or a crate(they're not all bad) g120 or 130 xl series head.