Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Get more gain from Sunn Beta Lead?

Started by kiehano, October 09, 2010, 10:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiehano

I'm not too sure of my abilities when it comes to the CMOS crap.  How can I get some more gain outta this thing.  Look up Sunn Beta on youtube.  Mine sounds like the guy with the faded Les Paul.  I want it to sound like that PB-10 (I think that's it) preamp.  Any suggestions?

J M Fahey

Hi kiehano.
Just by sheer chance, i'm just now designing a preamp based exclusively on a 4049/69 .
I tend to see them as "fixed gain blocks" around 30x , they are definitely not as versatile/flexible/tweakable as Op Amps.
Maybe you should leave your amp as-is and add some gain ahead of it ... using CMOS to keep it in the family.
http://folkurban.com/Site/CMOSBoost-695.html
Just by chance, I have *this* open on another screen:

rowdy_riemer

The gain of these inverters can be tweeked via the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. Obviously not as good has having the differential input of an op amp, but definately doable.

J M Fahey

Thanks, you're very kind.
The name of the software used is weakly visible on the image itself, it's the *excellent* DIY Layout Creator, from Storm Software .
Try to get the "old" version, regular Windows software; the "new" version is written in Java to make it "universal" but is "stiffer" and, worst part, can't open the huge library of examples contributed by users.