Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Transformer issues.

Started by Fixr1984, March 07, 2012, 11:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fixr1984

I am finally getting around to finishing up my Lm3886 kit.  I have a transformer from a home stereo i want to use.
First off can I do that, secondly how do I know what wires go to my power supply board.  I have the 2 ac input wires and there
are 5 wires from the secondary side.  There are 2 reds and 2 blues and one black wire.  The AC voltage varries depending on where I'm measuring from.  Where should I be testing and what should I be looking for?  Thanks for any help.

J M Fahey

Post a drawing showing the following voltages:
Red/Red
Red1/Black
Red2/Black
Blue/Blue
Blue1/Black
Blue2/Black
Red (any) to Black(any)
What power was the original Home Stereo?

Fixr1984

Unsure of the original wattage, its an old Sherwood reciever, no wattage markings.
The wires in the picture are left to right; Blue 1, Blue 2, Red 1, Black, Red 2.
Red-Red: 51.6vac
Red1-Black: 25.8vac
Red2-Black: 25.8vac
Blue-Blue:  7.4vac
Blue1-Black:  16.8vac
Blue2-Black:  11.0vac
Red1-Blue1:  5.3vac
Red1-Blue2:  .5vac
Red2-Blue1:  39.2vac
Red2-Blue2:  34.4vac

phatt

My guess,, Red /Black /Red are the main power amp wires.

They being 26-0-26 VAC delivering approx 35-0-35 VDC when rectified.
(perfect for driving the LM3886 Chip). Go for it. :dbtu:
My guess,, blue blue delivers the next voltage for driving aux stuff,,, light bulbs.
You may not even need these.

Phil.

Fixr1984

Thanks.  The next part that confuses me is where to hook up the wires to the power supply board.  Do I run a red on each side and "y" the black to go to both sides?..AC always confuses me:)

phatt

http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm

adding a couple of pics that might help.

Don't touch anything you can't outrun winky.
Phil.

phatt

Your Black goes to the Ctap (often also grounded to chassis)
The 2 Red wires then go to rectifier.
Phil.

Fixr1984

Sorry to keep asking the same thing over and over but I'm really scratching my head.  Looking at the pictures it makes sense but I have spaces for 4 wires to hook up to the board and thats where I'm getting lost.  I should add that I have the kit from chipamp.com
Here is a picture I found showing you what I mean.  There are 2 wires going to each side and I'm lost......So I run a red wire to each side then what is the other wire?  This is like my kit but not the stereo version.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs394.snc4/45718_462598446252_637721252_6971417_7709811_n.jpg
Thanks for putting up with me. ;)

kato

In your case there will only be one wire going to each side since you don't have a split secondary.

One red wire to each side. Black for the center tap.  And you can tape up the extra secondary wires and leave them disconnected.

J M Fahey

The chipamp suggested has a dual secondary transformer, and a dual bridge rectifier.
Not wrong, but not the common way to do things.
I *guess* they do so, to make you buy their full kit (nothing against that).
Post the Power supply schematic you have and we'll suggest how to wire it to your transformer.

Fixr1984

Here's the schematic.
What I did that seemed to work for the power supply board was to run one red to AC1 and the other to AC2 and then I took the black wire to the other AC1 and AC2 spots.  Not sure if that was right or not but I was able to get a good DC reading from +v and +PGND.
I do pop a fuse when I try to connect the amplifier board. It only happens when I hook up all 4 wires.  If I have either just the + wires connected  or just the - wires it wont blow the fuse.  Is this an issue with the way I have the AC wires connected or an issue with the amplifier board.

teemuk

Your best bet is to discard that rectifier setup; it needs two isolated secondary windings, which your transformer doesn't have.

Use only a single rectifier like suggested in former posts.

J M Fahey

Post 2 close up pictures of that board, you´ll have to reform it a little, cut some tracks and add some wire bridges.
You *can* use it that way.
Try to show tracks clearly.

Fixr1984

Its hard to see the traces on the top of the board.  Hope this helps

J M Fahey

That board was designed to *force* you to buy a Dual Secondary Poweer Transformer.
This is a way to use a surplus center tapped transformer, the most common kind.
You'll need to buy an extra Bridge Rectifier.
I suggest the KBU8D, available at Mouser
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Diodes-Rectifiers/Bridge-Rectifiers/_/N-2xpqk?P=1z1414hZ1yzv2qbZ1z0waqaZ1yzxpge
It's a rectangular plastic package with a mounting hole, which allows it to be bolted to the chassis and its legs bent upward and cut to a length of, say, 1/2", so you can solder wires to them.
It has 2 "AC" legs where you will solder the transformer wires, and a + and a - legs which are connected to AC1 and (-)AC2 terminals.
The transformer center tap goes straight to the PCB output ground: both PGnd which are joined together.
After this mod, the PSU board outputs feed the amps as usual.