Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 12, 2024, 07:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I'm the FNG

Started by IamTheBear, April 30, 2014, 08:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IamTheBear

Hello all. I was directed here from the beavisaudio website. Right now i have small aspiriations, just a little pocket amp for playing through headphones aka altoids amp Later i plan trying my luck at some other circuits for amps mostly the noisy cricket design. With all this i know i have to crawl before i run. With that being said electronic wiring jusg seems to baffle me at this point. this is some cause of concern considering I'm an electrician and have been for the last 10 years. What is most confusing is the parts list offered then they scematic has more parts added. With that aside i have a list together and plan on bread boarding it together this weekend to determine if i understand it and get it working. Any direction would be most helpful thanks for your time The Bear.

Roly

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

IamTheBear

That is exactly what style I was looking for thank you so much. Do you know if there are any more circuits show the schematic this was. I think this style would help many newcomers on their first build having that style and regular schematic side by side on a build. Thanks Barry

J M Fahey

Wow !!!!
Incredibly detailed explanation and step by step  :dbtu:

Roly

I agree.  These diagrammes are very helpful for beginners but they don't teach you to read conventional circuits (schematics).

He does some some more circuit-like drawings way down the page;

I do like the look of his builds, but a caution to beginners is not to use a case that is too small and end up having to wangle the boards &c in, better initially to go for a bigger box.

IamTheBear

Sorry I've been sick in bed for the past few days and unable to do anything. I did manage to get out today and grab some radio shack parts and breadboarded my first circuit together based on this deign http://mad-science.wonderhowto.com/how-to/build-your-own-mini-altoids-guitar-amp-for-about-5-0135412/ . Luckily i got it to work on my first try so son to be solderd together.

Roly

Sorry to hear you're ill, that's no good, but will don one the amp.   :dbtu:

That's about as simple as they come, right off the data sheet.

One tip, forget the hopeless tiny speaker and connect it up to the largest real speaker you can find (e.g. Marshal quad box) and prepare to be amazed.  One watt isn't going to make your ears bleed, but the improvement in quality is likely to surprise you - just about any small device sounds better with a real speaker.

IamTheBear

I skipped on the small speaker setup and wired it for a 1/8 mono female mono headphone jack so our son would have more versatility out of as far as plugging into speakers or headphones for practice. His fender practice amp died so this is to keep him going while i refine my building skills to bigger projects. Once this one is soldered and in a box ill move to more complex amps, along with building the cabinet to go with them.