Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:56:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

repair parts from amp makers

Started by kuvash, November 01, 2013, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

I charge $60 an hour and ought to go to $75.   Our pal Frondelli in Manhattan charges twice that.   But then I am sure he pays a lot more for rent there than he would here.

Unless you have some VERY specific communication already, MOST shops will not want to see the board out of an amp.  We have no way to power it up.  If shipping is an issue, you can usually remove the chassis from the wooden cab and send that, but without a complete electronic system, there is no way to test anything.

If you have one amp and two boards, you still really ought to send the working chassis and board along, so they can power the dead board in the chassis.    Even if they happen to have an identical amp in their shop, they'd still have to take that apart, remove its board, install your dead board into it, and THEN service it.   Once it was fixed, they'd need to remove your now-good board, reinstall their original board and reassemble their amp.   You would be paying for all that extraneous labor.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on November 04, 2013, 07:49:26 AM
@ joecool: your price is reasonable considering you operate out of your beautiful house in the woods (I envy you ;) ) or at most from a downtown shop in a small town, where expenses are moderate.
But in a downtown shop in a large City , expenses are very high.
Imagine a NY shop !!!
Unfortunately, "the customer must pay for that".

Thanks Juan, and yeah, I do my repairs out of my home.  Actually on a desk in my bedroom.  Next house we get (if/when we move) I will have an electronics room.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

kuvash

DrGonz it's just a bad/faulty/sloppy at times/loose/not too tight input jack plug...does make a difference what type of guitar cable,they are not all the same.But,through use it has become Toulouse Lautrec. I can see this probably happens from time to time....been that way awhile,not under warranty...guitar shop I bought it from (local,family owned,) went out of business...that's about it...whatever any elses experience have been,mine has been(with 3 different amps),consistantly,that in this area of California,no one really wants to mess with them.So at the end of the day,I can fix it myself,part it out,use it for a speaker,replace it........okay,now I have used up all the time currently alloted to this project                                                     kuvash

DrGonz78

Well I have lots of Crate input jacks lying around in my shop. The jacks are sometimes repairable and easily replaced. Reading the thread I had thought that maybe the problem was with the dsp card for effects or something. If you need advice replacing that jack, then anyone here will be more than happy to help. Pictures help figure out a lot online (beats trying to type a 1000 words).
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

kuvash

Thanks Dr Gonz and Enzo,it's not the PC board that runs everything..it's just a small little circuit board about 1'' X 2"' with two 4 pin jacks soldered to it....one for the instrument input and the other for a footswitch.
kuvash

J M Fahey

Then you don't actually need that little PCB, which is more of a manufacturing convenience.

You just put 2 new jacks there, and wire them same as the original ones.

Enzo

OK, I agree with Juan, you could just replace it with wired jacks.   BUt assuming you can't do that work, yes, you could mail THAT little board to someone and they could fix it...mostly.   That little board connects to the main board by some sort of wire or cable.  There will be a connector at least at one end, possibly both ends.  Without the whole system, we have no way as technicians to verify those cables and connections are not the problem.   SO they could easily solder a couple new jacks onto the little board, and if the jacks themselves were the issue, then fine.   But if those other connections are bad, hard to say.