Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:49:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

repair parts from amp makers

Started by kuvash, November 01, 2013, 11:58:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kuvash

I am trying to locate a post that I read here awhile back from a member about which amp makers would sell repair parts. I remember names like Mesa,Peavey and Fender and maybe Marshall and Line 6 as well.I can't seem to find it again.Any help will be appreciated.
kuvash

J M Fahey

Take a shorter path: mail them and wait for the yes/no .
Beware that all will want their internal "catalog/warehouse" part number , asking for "the transformer a Champ uses" won't cut much ice.

kuvash

Thanks,I have done that and actually have called some of them on the telephone....I just wanted to read the post again,that was all. I just wanted to read the post again sorry to be a bother.
kuvash

Enzo

Policies change anyway.  Best thing to do is ask specifically after one company when you need their parts.

Peavey sells to anyone, Fender sells through their dealers, Mesa will sell some parts some times.  Line 6 will sell you NOTHING nor will they ever provide ANY support, they refer all service needs to their service centers only.

kuvash

Thanks Enzo,actually I was referred to a place to buy line 6 parts and I did call them up and spoke with them and was told they could order parts if it wasn't something that they already stocked and they would sell it to me.
I can't say I've personally had very good luck with Fender repair centers.
But Peavey is just as you have said.
kuvash

Enzo

Line 6 has dealers, and they have service centers, and as far as I know those are the only people Line 6 will sell parts to.  Now if YOU call Line 6, they will likely refer you to one of them.  That Line 6 franchisee can then order and sell the parts to you.   And a lot of parts are generic.   Many amps use a TDA7293 IC or an LM3886 IC for a power amp.   Those are just common parts, so if I need one for a Line 6 amp, I don't need to get it from Line 6.   Same with jacks, transistors, resistors, etc.   Things like controls are usually custom, as are any DSP parts.

ANy Fender dealer can order any available Fender parts for you.  That includes service centers.   But they don;t have to.  SOme service centers might not want to order a part for you knowing you intend to fix an amp rather than bringing it to them.  I think that is poor customer relations, but it happens.    Also, I can;t order one volume control.  The control may cost $2, but there will be $8-12 shipping.  So a dealer might put your part on an order list, but they wait until they have a reasonable size order before submitting it.    If I order 25 volume controls or just one it costs the same to ship.   But a $10 shipping bill divides a lot more nicely into 25 parts than it does into just one.   But Fender won't sell direct to you.    There are Fender parts sellers too like "parts is parts", try at fenderparts.com

kuvash

Thanks Enzo,awhile back I came up with an extra board that needs repaired..so I'm thinking that I want to get the 4 pin jacks and repair that one,put it in the amp and get the one I took out repaired and I will have a spare. But first I need to get set up to do it or else send it out.
kuvash

kuvash

The "authorized" Fender service center closest to me (60 mi) will see what they can do for me,that is with me removing and bringing in the pc board from the amp for a minimum of eighty five dollars (could be more). I do understand they are in business to make a profit...but for another $115.00 I can just buy another amp or upgrade for a little more and just use this as a speaker for the Mustang Floor unit....or I guess invest in the stuff to fix it myself. Anyway thanks for the info,I do appreciate it.
kuvash

DrGonz78

What amp are we referring to here on this thread, out of curiosity? I understand the question on the thread but feel some example of reference would be nice.  8|
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

kuvash

Sorry,a Fender Mustang ll V.1.....
kuvash

J M Fahey

Quotefor a minimum of eighty five dollars (could be more). I do understand they are in business to make a profit...but for another $115.00 I can just buy another amp

Well, that's the main point behind this problem.
A typical "bench cost" hour usually runs between U$60 and U$120, depending on where the shop is located, so the price they quoted falls within that range.
Too much?
Well, no.
There are some guys who quote less, around $45 an hour (not that cheap anyway), they often do not have a licensed shop but run out of home or at best in some Music Shop backroom , after hours (after they came back from the real money erning job), etc.
And those quoting $35 an hour ... RUN AWAY !!!!! , either they are inexperienced kids (or almost) running from Mom's house, or take 4 hours to make what can be done in 1 .... do the Math.

While an automated Factory in China or Mexico turns them out by the thousands at a VERY low cost.

That's why there are many "do not repair" amps listed: believe it or not it's cheaper for the Factory bto just replkace them.
They don't even want the oldone back.  What for?

Just to have an idea of what I'm talking about, watch this automatic PCB stuffing and soldering machine in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwFoyxTe5x4

For larger parts which might still need to be hand inserted or are too large for wave/oven soldering, there's this one, which solders as fast as you (it still takes a couple seconds to heat the pad and let solder flow) but works non stop, no errors, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIwF1Hg65mg

kuvash

I'm not complaining...I'm just trying to find out and learn all I can about using a modelling amp and I'm diggin 'it and now maybe I''ll have to buy another one sooner than I expected to,but... it is what it is.
Jus' a boy an' his 'lectric guitar.
kuvash

joecool85

I only charge $50 bench fee, central Maine.  I suppose most places around the US are more though, Maine is a sparsely populated place with the majority living in poverty (US standards).
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

DrGonz78

Well I also just have to ask what are the symptoms of the amp failure? What is wrong with this beast? xP
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

J M Fahey

@ joecool: your price is reasonable considering you operate out of your beautiful house in the woods (I envy you ;) ) or at most from a downtown shop in a small town, where expenses are moderate.
But in a downtown shop in a large City , expenses are very high.
Imagine a NY shop !!!
Unfortunately, "the customer must pay for that".