Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Ultimate Chorus help

Started by pecefrogg, January 21, 2012, 05:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Did you do the first thing I suggested?  I suggested plugging a spare cord from FX send to FX return, and wondered if that made the amp come back live. 

Your response was that you plugged the guitar into the return. You also plugged something into the send. That is not the same.  Plug the guitar in out front like always, but add a cord from send to return.

pecefrogg

Hi Enzo, and thanks for getting back to me.  Yeah, my direction following capacities weren't tracking well that night.  I just did as you instructed, and it's still subdued as all crap.  In order to get sound at all the primary volume pot, the secondary & and the gain all have to be cranked. 

You'd asked about preamp out, & power amp in, but no go on this model.  Just 2 input jacks, mono FX & stereo FX, plus one for the foot switch. 

Update, I did just plug it into the FX return jack, which so far delivers the most volume.  Not high volume, but clean and with most volume so far.  I don't know if this helps, but all help is appreciated.  Great googly-moogly, I hope this helps.   :cheesy:

Enzo

The FX send serves as a preamp out in most amps.  If you can send that to any other amp or even a PA system for a listen it will tell us if the preamp is inded the problem.

If plugging into the FX return sounds clear, then the p-ower amp is OK.

pecefrogg

I'll have to look around for a friend that has an amp I can borrow.  Small town, don't know a lot of people, but I'll make it happen.  May take a day or several, but thank you very much for sticking with me on this.  It's much appreciated. 

pecefrogg

Quote from: Enzo on January 31, 2012, 07:19:13 PM
The FX send serves as a preamp out in most amps.  If you can send that to any other amp or even a PA system for a listen it will tell us if the preamp is inded the problem.

If plugging into the FX return sounds clear, then the p-ower amp is OK.

Hi, Enzo.  My brother in law brought his amp over today, and I plugged the FX send on my amp into the input on his, and it's clear.  Still required both volumes cranked on my amp, but when I turned up the volume on his, (not anywhere near cranked) sound was had, and the volume was adjustable that way.  Hopefully this is helpful. 

pecefrogg

Hi guys!  Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Is my preamp hosed out?  I'm lost.
Thanks in advance for any insight.  :tu:

joecool85

Quote from: pecefrogg on February 07, 2012, 07:46:11 PM
Hi guys!  Anybody have any thoughts on this?  Is my preamp hosed out?  I'm lost.
Thanks in advance for any insight.  :tu:

I'm not sure.  It sounds like you have a really weak signal coming out, but it could be just the way it was hooked up.  It sounds like the preamp may be ok but the poweramp is toast.  Could you put up some video or sound clips?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

pecefrogg

I'd have to agree with the really weak signal thing.  That's a great idea to post a vid, so you guys can see and hear exactly what the major malfunction acts like.  I'm gonna have to charge the cam tonight, but I'll put it up tomorrow, and with any luck it'll help. 

Thanks to all that are offering suggestions.  I know I've mentioned it, but I don't want to just fix the bugger, if that's something that I can do, but I'd really like to learn how it functions.  Maybe for a build down the road, or just to satisfy some curiousity....  Thanks joecool85 for the idea.