Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 08:38:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Any Randall RG-80 Fans / Users?

Started by JHow, August 25, 2010, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

A mighty old warrior.
And the Celestion speaker is the cherry on the cake.
You posted the thumbnails.
The full size pictures are:

Amp pictures are best taken outside, in a hazy dat or when the Sun is covered by a cloud, for strong yet relatively shadow free light.
If no other way, try to shed some light on the front and support your forearms with a chair or some books as to avoid vibration.
Also push the button smoothly, avoiding jerk.
Anyway, thanks for the pictures, and someday if you open it for something else, post some gut (boards) pictures too.
Thanks again.

dmartn149

I just ran up stairs and snaped those. When i take ebay shots I use a tripod, lots of lights, and the timer.

joecool85

I'd love to play one of these someday.  What's with the On-Off-On power switch?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

QuoteWhen i take ebay shots I use a tripod, lots of lights, and the timer.
So, *we* are some kind of second-rate humans??
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Wait until I tell my Mom !!! :trouble

Hi joecool: the power switch is inverting, as to invert the "grounding cap" position; he may leave the switch as-is but should pull the capacitor and install a proper 3 pin grounded power cable.

JHow

It looks better in full size.

I think these do have a three-prong plug, but still with line-cap-to-chassis.

dmartn149

dmartn149

I just got this big bro. on craigslist for $20.!!!!! The young lady was moving and wanted it out ASAP. Her uncle had given it to her years ago when she thought she wanted to play guitar. She said it has been in storage for at least ten years. It is pretty good cosmeticaly, sounds great except for the hum. Turn on the reverb and tremolo and it makes a perfect "surf" guitar sound.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/dmartn149/randall120002.jpg?t=1301448019

joecool85

Quote from: dmartn149 on March 29, 2011, 09:31:59 PM
I just got this big bro. on craigslist for $20.!!!!! The young lady was moving and wanted it out ASAP. Her uncle had given it to her years ago when she thought she wanted to play guitar. She said it has been in storage for at least ten years. It is pretty good cosmeticaly, sounds great except for the hum. Turn on the reverb and tremolo and it makes a perfect "surf" guitar sound.

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/dmartn149/randall120002.jpg?t=1301448019

Now THAT'S a deal!
thatraymond.com

JHow

Bravo!  Craigslist is a good source.  People just want it out of their garage or closet and if they don't play it doesn't mean a thing to them.  Tell us how you progress with fixing the hum.

dmartn149

I will. Actually, I'll probably be asking for help. I haven't had time to even pull the chassis yet, but when I do I'll give it a good cleaning and see if that helps. There are a couple of big caps sticking down from the chassis. Can those cause hum on a SS amp like they can on a tube amp?
The date codes on the speakers show they were made in 76. Now I'm really impressed with the condition.

joecool85

Quote from: dmartn149 on March 30, 2011, 08:54:49 PM
I will. Actually, I'll probably be asking for help. I haven't had time to even pull the chassis yet, but when I do I'll give it a good cleaning and see if that helps. There are a couple of big caps sticking down from the chassis. Can those cause hum on a SS amp like they can on a tube amp?
The date codes on the speakers show they were made in 76. Now I'm really impressed with the condition.

Sure can.  Electrolytic caps "wear out" with age (I won't bore you with the details unless you are curious).  Basically they will cause voltage problems and frequently lots of hum when they crap out.  Some are good for only 10 years, others 30 or 40.  This amp has caps that are 35 years old, I'd say time to replace!
thatraymond.com