Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Remote channel/FX switch

Started by ampetrosillo, October 20, 2021, 10:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampetrosillo

I'd like to implement a clean/dirty channel switch for my design, and also a vibrato/reverb on-off switch. I'm using DG419 parts (nice and reliable, clean if a bit fast, etc.) for switching, although I could use simple relays as well (but the cost and complexity is basically the same, with the added bonus that the DG part is solid state, therefore potentially more reliable) and I'd like to be able to both operate the switch from the panel and via a footswitch. Are there any schematics you could point me to? Secondly, I'd actually like to have a remote reverb mixer (as well as the panel-mounted one), this screams VCA of course, but what would you suggest?

Enzo

RElays are clean, and can switch signal at 40mv or 40 volts  Relays let you control completely isolated from the signal path.  I have found them darn reliable over my decades.  I have replaced a few, but that is in thousands of amps. 

But I expect relays to be here a long long time.  DG419?   And when they stop making them?  Remember the useful TL604 that were used in large numbers in the 1980s?  GOne now.

Don't get me wrong, if you have a useful design based on them, go ahead.   I just didn't buy the backup argument

A common approach to using a FS and panel switch is to run them in series.  The FS jack between panel switch and ground, with its normal shunt completing the circuit when no FS is used.

A remote level control?  I'd hate to run the signal path outside the amp and back.  If you want to run a control voltage, you'd have to have a supply out to the FS, and make up a control circuit there.  VCA?  Would work, I don't know what is current in VCA chips.  On th other hand a simple digital pot would likely work too.

ampetrosillo

A digital pot would also require digital circuitry (a microcontroller, even a simple PIC chip, etc.), if I could do without digital circuitry it would probably be better (easier to shield, no interference, etc. mine is just a hobby project), but with some help on best practices I suppose it could be done.

phatt

It  baffles me why people go chasing the most complex way around simple problems.
I'm old enough to remember all the old amps that came with 2 "Separate independent" channels. Often one Ch had Trem/Rev.
One only needs a 2 way splitter,, guitar in with 2 cables out to the 2 channels.
No convoluted switching systems needed. :-X
If you want much more than that it's likely far better to build a simple Amp setup and use use a pedal board for all the tricks. 8|
Just my 2 cents worth.
Phil.

Enzo

Switching is simple, it was his desire to have a remote reverb level control that was a challenge.

phatt

Quote from: Enzo on October 22, 2021, 10:52:14 AM
Switching is simple, it was his desire to have a remote reverb level control that was a challenge.

Maybe I was not clear?
Surely it would be so much simpler to use a multi FX pedal board of which there are dozens to choose from, many now for sale cheap SecHand.
A lot of those FX units have a foot control which can be assigned to FX paremeters.
Simply assign Reverb depth to the pedal and you have real time hands free control over Reverb depth.

To my understanding that makes a lot more sense than reinventing the wheel again. :loco

One way means it's dedicated to one Amp Only, the other means it's totally independent of the amplifier which means if Amp fails you swap to another amp and still keep all the FX tricks you wish to use.
Either way you still end up with a pedal on the floor. ;)
Phil.

Enzo

Sure, there are other ways to get home.  I was addressing the OP question.  He apparently wants to design his own with these features.  I mean, how can I add a gain channel to my amp is a separate question from what pedal should I put in front of my amp.