Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:26:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Princeton Chorus SS Board Advice Needed

Started by MurphyPeoples, January 07, 2017, 08:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbono

I think your initial question was a touchy volume control on the amp. If you look at the schematic for this amp the volume control pots are "B" taper - i.e. linear slope. Unfortunately, we hear increasing sound amplitude in a non-linear fashion. Not sure if this was a marketing ploy by Fender since I always here people complain about the SS amps from the 80's and 90's being too loud and they can't be turned down. Changing to an "audio" taper/slope will help this issue.   

MurphyPeoples

Quote from: gbono on January 12, 2017, 07:52:43 PM
Changing to an "audio" taper/slope will help this issue.

If anyone has done this and knows of the part number, I'd be grateful for the info.

galaxiex

Not sure but it might help....

The link I posted in post #3 has articles for fixing the HRDX volume problem, same problem, use of a linear pot instead of log.

Here's the link again...

http://hotroddiy.com/howtoarticles.php

Read the article "Controlling the Hot Rod's Volume" go to "Master Volume Mod" within that article.

also see..... "James E Vanden Berg Mods, The"

If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

phatt

Just rereading the first post I think the issue might be *Volume jump* likely due to a cracked pot track or cold solder join on the pot mounting, either way a new pot will fix that.
Phil.

MurphyPeoples

Quote from: galaxiex on January 13, 2017, 08:24:22 PM
Not sure but it might help....

The link I posted in post #3 has articles for fixing the HRDX volume problem, same problem, use of a linear pot instead of log.

Here's the link again...

http://hotroddiy.com/howtoarticles.php

Read the article "Controlling the Hot Rod's Volume" go to "Master Volume Mod" within that article.

also see..... "James E Vanden Berg Mods, The"

Bless you for that info! Brilliant.

donnie

I had one of those amps a while back. If I recall correctly, I changed the volume pots to logarithmic to get better volume control.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MurphyPeoples

Thought I'd give a final update. I changed out the jack with the "low cost" model to which I provided a link early. At half the price, they came in looking great, and once installed worked PERFECTLY.
I D5'd out all pots, and reflowed the soldier to each one plus the Caps. When I cut the amp back on, it sounded GREAT. No volume issues, and just had that warm Fender tone. Really surprised at how great
the SS Princeton Chorus sounds!

Next Up : Late 1980's SS Pro 185. Same issues.

Glad I bought many extra parts!
Murphy