Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Heathkit TA16

Started by GlenF, May 04, 2019, 09:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jazz P Bass

From the pic I can see a few solder joints that appear 'iffy'.

Not too sure what soldering iron or skill set the OP has.

GlenF

I'm certainly no pro, like you guys.  If you could give me some pointers, that would be great!  My dad did the majority of the work back in the early 70's, and I changed a few wires 5 years ago.  If you could point out which joints look iffy, I could redo them. 

phatt

Nope ya goin' the wrong way, could lead to more mistakes xP
Establish those voltages FIRST. 8|
The pic quality is good but we need the whole board
Some good clear pics of both sides of the board will help a lot ;)
Phil.

GlenF

GlenF

GlenF

And the meter I have.

GlenF

I think I am the right path.  In the pic, there are 4 little black diodes (I think that's what they are).  When I test the 2 on the left, I get readings from the top lead, but not the bottom.  On the right 2, I get readings from both ends.  Is this normal?

galaxiex

You might benefit from having the complete construction manual for that amp.

It is available here>>>  http://www.vintagemanuals.com/manual/Heathkit/TA-16

for a reasonable price.

Heathkit manuals are very well done (step by step) and have a trouble shooting section to help diagnose problems.
You will learn a lot just reading the manual.

If you decide to get the manual, be sure to go to their home page and read the ordering info and about their manuals.

http://www.vintagemanuals.com/mission.html

:)
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

GlenF

I'll look into that.  Thanks for the info!

Buhtwheat

Have you got the amp working yet? Those 4 diodes are the rectifying circuit, and are the weak point of the amplifier, IMO. I have replaced mine several times over the years, and so far, that's fixed it every time.

BTW, I built mine in 1967 (8th grade), and cold solder joints were my biggest problem at the time.