Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 06:48:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Joe Davisson's Vulcan preamp

Started by Miyagi_83, May 12, 2024, 04:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miyagi_83

Hi, everyone, first build-related post of mine  :) 
Soon, I'm going to build Joe Davisson's 4-stage Vulcan preamp using the schematic posted on his website and I have a few questions before I embark on this project.
1. Has anyone tried it?
2. If so, how does it sound? Judging by the number of gain stages, it's a hard rock / heavy metal machine.
3. I'm going to use BC337 transistors because I have a lot of them (not much of anything else tbh). Apart from pinout and biasing, is there anything I should specifically pay attention to?
I'm going to breadboard it first and, of course, I'll keep the forum updated on the progress. That, however, may take a while because adult life is the way it is ;)
Stay tuned.

Umlaut

Hi there!
I have this one on my to-breadboard along the line.
Seems to be marshall-voiced, judging by the filtering, and pretty high gain.
Might be wrong, but perhaps the diodes mimic grid saturation as in a valve amp.

Indeed breadboard first, especially if using other trannies, and check the voltages. Personally I'd try snubber caps on the last two gain stages.

Good luck!

Miyagi_83

Thanks for the reply, Umlaut.
Looking at the schematic, I also expect it to sound like a Marshall on steroids. Like a DSL or a Bogner Ecstasy perhaps?
Speaking of snubber caps, do you mean in parallel with collector resistors?

Umlaut

I'd try 10pF to 22pF, base to collector, similar to the trick employed to smooth down silicon transistors in fuzzes, but that's a matter of taste :)
I had a bit of downtime this arvo and threw the Vulcan on LtSpice: the frequency response is VERY similar to the Randall RG100Es, so you'll probably hot rodded marshall vibes. That doesnt mean that it will sound like a Randall, though: clipping thresholds and gain increments are very different.
I was also surprised to see that the circuit, as is, is already shaving off some dBs above 6kHz.
I'd be tempted to try it at higher voltages, with low hFE transistors, just for the sake of it.
Oh, and the diodes do mimic grid clipping: they chop almost half of the waveform before the gain stage. Very clever design with just a few parts :)

Miyagi_83

Thanks for all the info and hints. I'm about to order the parts that I don't have in my stash and as soon as they arrive, I'll start breadboarding. Provided nothing unexpected gets in the way, that is.
As far as the higher voltage goes, I happen to have an LT1054-based voltage doubler put together, so I'll give it a try at roughly 18V too.
Have a good one and stay tuned!
M