Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:43:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

suhr riot

Started by guitarfreak666, March 14, 2012, 03:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarfreak666

hi, does anybody here has a suhr riot distortion pedal schematic? im building one for a friend.

thnx

mozwell

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

guitarfreak666

phatt

For such a small circuit you will be far better served by by using IC1B as a buffer *In Front* of input. This will keep the signal to noise way down (if done right).

Go look at a TS9 OD circuit and you will see a simple BJT buffer right at the input.
That is there because someone knew what they where doing,,, winky hinty hint.

Trust me I've built enough to know that any anyone can get gain but it takes a little more in-depth understanding to do it without NOISE. 8|
And I HATE noisy circuits. :trouble
My bet is that the circuit will have tons of crunch but the noise will be un-bearable at hi gain settings.

Phil.

J M Fahey

That tone control does *very* little, so little that taper is almost irrelevant,
They specify a hard to find "C" taper, a linear "B" one would be better and much much easier.
The "Presence" switch does nothing, specially at typical presence frequencies.
Any smaller cap you add in parallel with a 1uF one has negligible effect and that would be lowering the cutoff frequency, increasing "mud", not exactly what Presence is supposed to do.
Out of curiosity I checked their SlowLoris (Rat) pedal.
As is it doesn't work and at best will provide "ratty" distortion, in he bad meaning of the word.
If the rest of the Madbean pedals have such errors, (didn't check them yet) it does not look like a trusty info source.
Oh well.

guitarfreak666

well, i supose that the curcuit sucks, could you help me with making adjustments to make it a low noise utlra high gain, with a great tonestack metalmonster?

joecool85

Quote from: guitarfreak666 on March 22, 2012, 05:22:01 PM
well, i supose that the curcuit sucks, could you help me with making adjustments to make it a low noise utlra high gain, with a great tonestack metalmonster?

My guess would be to start with something closer to what you want.  Maybe Joe Davidson's Vulcan or similar.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

guitarfreak666

well, i want something that gets the van halen tone on his first album but more gain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feyne-dQxjg
this is the sound i want, do you think it could be achieved in a pedal, because i think he gets the sound trough a tube amp, but i have a valvestate, it isnt very pedal friendly.
could anyone help me design this pedal?
i once linked 2 mxr dist+ and i almost got the tone, would it work to link 3/4 in one box?

grtz

J M Fahey

Quotewell, i want something that gets the van halen tone on his first album but more gain
Only that?
Why don't you ask for something difficult?
;)
:lmao:

Now getting serious; anybody who had such a pedal would be a millionaire by now.
See that even the original Suhr Riot gets a killer sound ... plugged into a TUBE amp, even if it's the "Clean channel"
First thing that pedal will do, is saturate a triode !!!
And even so, the demo gets the best sound *adding* a Suhr Boost !!!
No, it's not that easy, by a long way.
*BUT* you can build 3 relatively simple Distortion+ in a box, and achieve a similar gain and clipping level.
Do it and post results.
PD: it's not a crazy idea, RAT made the RD2U which was 2 RATs in a single rack enclosure, so .....  :dbtu:
PD2: don't complain about the hiss, buzz, etc. Even the Suhr demo shows some ... and he's using a $5000 guitar.

guitarfreak666

can u achieve this saturated triode in a marshall vs100r? i dont know why the tube is in there

J M Fahey

The triod eis there to provide *some* tube flavor in an otherwise brittle raspy amplifier.
But there are tubeless amps, such as Hughes and Kettner or even Laneys which manage to sound smoother than hybrid Valvestates, go figure.
Marshall can depend on its famous brand and logo, others *must* provide good sound or fail ;)

guitarfreak666

since i think ill never be able to get that sound im not going to built anything, i am now really close to the sound using 2 distortion pedals a vox wah and a multieffect for even more dist :dbtu:

gefi

Quote from: guitarfreak666 on April 04, 2012, 03:11:03 PM
since i think ill never be able to get that sound im not going to built anything, i am now really close to the sound using 2 distortion pedals a vox wah and a multieffect for even more dist :dbtu:

Hello
tries to make the version 1 of madbean, version 2 sounds too dark. The version 1 is closer to the sound of the original pedal
regards

J0K3RX

I know this is an old post but just wanted to share ;) Heads up to anybody who built the Riot clones, you all must have noticed that they didn't sound like the real Riot!? Anyway, this guy traced it 100% and got it right! Go about half way down the page to the posts by MarkGor. Also, Rcutoms made a good layout, works perfect!

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10133&start=240