Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:32:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

The most fluid sounding SS guitar amps?

Started by cleantone, September 20, 2009, 06:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleantone

Hi
I have been playing for some time now and oddly enough when looking back I probably have played more SS amps than tube amps.  The thing is, as a Tele player, I really prefer clean tone  ;) over saturated sounds.  I play mostly in electrified jug bands and do not need distortion.  I have come off a long stint on acoustic guitar and want the skinny on the best sounding (for the buck) SS amps.  What is junk and what is pro?  If you have a thought on this I would appreciate your input.  I recall the Yamaha SS amps of the late 70's and early 80's as being very nice sounding.  But there is so many on the market and many are aimed at newbies.  Help!!! :o

JG

A lot of the Peavy stuff is super clean transtubes are nice.
I had a legand tube pre/ ss power that was clean and punchy.
  I had a JC-77 for a while I know they are a loved by many but I was not impressed.
   You could hunt down a steel guitar amp.

jbjr

Roland cube X series - still ugly as hell...but the clean sounds with a tele a better than most fenders (the ''blackface' setting is verry convincing).  I also got back into electric after a long hiatus, and have tried out (and bought) several amps since then - and the roland's still have the most balanced clean sounds.   60X is probably more than enough poke for gigs and nice and compact.

Forget the chorus and delay (unless you're still living in the 80s), reverb is ok - but the overdrive/distortion settings are good solid Boss sounds. 

I understand there have been a few problems with the plastic jack inputs.  Everything made to a price these days...