Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 07:36:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

executone pbk640 and f274k

Started by RedMan81, March 18, 2012, 02:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedMan81

Okay, I have a basic electronic background through the military.  I have not done a lot with it in years, but a friend of mine gave me an executone pbk640 and f274k and suggested that I could make an amplifier for testing the guitars that I build and repair.  This would be cool, but there are no schematics or hookup diagrams to help me try to wire it.  It seams to also be missing the head unit with the volume controls, which I must also build or rob from another component.  This sounds cool being that the pbk640  is a 40watt amplifier.  Can anyone assist me on this undertaking?  I would like to try this if it can be done.  Thanks for any help. :tu:

phatt

At a guess it's a very old power amp and requires a preamp, hence no controls.

Short answer ,,, BIN.

Long Answer;
It does look as though it implements an output transformer,, so that part might interest budding teckno freaks,, which may not be the direction you wish to take? 8|
This also requires matching the speaker Z load.

Looks like you might have to dig deep to find some kind of input,, as I can't see one?

But if all you want to do is hear the guitars you fix and have no real interest in odd ball Amps then there are better ways ($cheaper/easier) to amplify nowdays. :tu:

Phil.

J M Fahey

Looks like a PA distribution amplfier, the kind used in supermarkets and places like that.
Probably fed from some kind of Mic preamp or simple mixer (Voice+ background music).
It probably is a regular not too complex  power amp, say, 40W into 8 ohms, with an output autotransformer to feed 70V speaker lines and similar.
You must find which is the line input to the power amp and the direct speaker out, so you disconnect the transformer and connect the board output straight to a regular jack.
You may drive it from any tiny guitar amp (such as those 10W ones which come "free"with cheap guitars, and in due term drive a >50W speaker *or* use it to drive some music speakers at your shop or throughout your house.

RedMan81

My buddy found a couple of books on hooking up the system.  I will probably get to this project this weekend.  I will try the hookup through a small practice amp I have and see if that works.  If it doesnt, I could use it to amp up my stereo in the shop.  What the heck, I have no money in it so it is worth it to me to try and do something whether it works or fails.  Thanks guys. I do appreciate the help.