Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 10:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Bootleg SS reverb......

Started by Erich, May 24, 2013, 07:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erich

I have a reverb tank and a phono preamp. I am going to make a satellite reverb unit to use with my Laney AOR 100 Pro Tube (yes, a tube amp. I know it's a "nono" here haha). Do I have to use a balance potentiometer to make a "wet / dry" adjustment or can I use both sides of a standard pot? Thanks!!!! Erich

J M Fahey

Short answer: build aproper reverb circuit.

If you dare, search this Forum for Phabb Reverb , best Reverb in the Planet.

Roly

Hi Erich.

Quote from: Erichphono preamp

To me a "phono" preamp means one for use with a turntable with a magnetic pickup cartrage, which in turn means that it will have RIAA equalisation, which is not what you need for a reverb line.  It may seem logical that it's for a magnetic pickup, and that a reverb tank has a magnetic pickup, but unlike a signal from a LP disk it does not have to be compensated for velocity.

Quote from: ErichDo I have to use a balance potentiometer to make a "wet / dry" adjustment or can I use both sides of a standard pot?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.  Normally a direct dry signal is taken to the main amp while the signal is also picked off and fed to the reverb "sidechain".  The return from the reverb channel normally has a reverb level control that is used to adjust the amount of wet reverberated signal that is re-mixed with the direct dry signal, and they are proportioned that way in conjunction with the main volume control.

HTH
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on May 24, 2013, 08:50:32 PM
Short answer: build aproper reverb circuit.

If you dare, search this Forum for Phabb Reverb , best Reverb in the Planet.

I seem to remember Phil making a reverb but did do a search and don't see it.  If I have more time later I'll poke around a bit more and see if I can find it.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Well I missed this one,
Did someone mention Reverb?

@ Joecool,,Yes Joe I did post the original Maxiverb circuit here long ago but I can't find it now but For those who may struggle with such a project then I'd advise them to look no further than ESP ideas. :dbtu:

http://sound.westhost.com/project34.htm

FWIW, My Tverb works brilliantly well and is far less complicated than my earlier project.

http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=2773.0

If any interest I'll repost the Maxiverb circuit.

Some good stuff on Roly's site also explaining Reverb systems.
My Maxiverb circuit is also on that site. (thanks heaps Roly you are a legend mate)

http://www.ozvalveamps.org/reverbs.htm

@ J M Fahey,, You are so kind. :-[ Coming from someone like You that means a lot. Thanks. <3)
Seems I'm kinda like the unofficial DIY Reverb nut case hobby guy and I bent my brain trying to build a decent reverb for years and even with the aid of the internet very few circuits actually worked well enough to be worth a mention.
Some circuits are just crap (IMO) and not worth the bother.

So I've at least had the time to test quite a few circuits and I can tell you Rod Elliott's reverb ideas worked first time out. As will become obvious my circuits are very similar.

So if you want to save a whole lot of pain,,, just build ESP circuits or similar.

If you want to try mine there is no backup as this is a hobby for me but I'll help if I can.

Both my Tverb and Maxiverb circuits are DEAD Quite (If built correctly) and unlike a lot of reverb circuits I've encountered won't introduce excess noise even when up full.

Cheers, Phil.