Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 04, 2024, 05:12:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Tel-Ray Supernove

Started by Jqcastelli, June 13, 2010, 12:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jqcastelli

I just aquired an old Supernova in beautiful condition. There are a couple of scratch pots but otherwise very nice. As it I'd a rare find I am wondering what this baby is worth. Anybody have any ideas?

J M Fahey

Very short answer: what you paid for it.
If you have some money to burn, buy "Fjaested's Blue Book" (or something like that) and search for the Supernova there.
Don't get depressed if it states 1/4 of what you paid or if it even does not know it (sometimes happens).
*Great* amps have little or no value there, because "nobody famous played them"
Just look at what happened to Silvertone amps, before and after White Stripes success.

teemuk

They might have some value for the guys who enthusiastically collect the oil can reverb stuff and related equipment, but for others they are just old, offbrand solid-state amps. Basically, most of guitar players even have no clue what an oil can reverb even is and see no collecting value in such. So... the value likely depends entirely on whether you find the right person to buy the amp. Chance is also that the one who does will pull the better straw on the deal.

Jqcastelli

It was a gift but Im still looking for historical references, original prices etc. Anyideas?

teemuk

Ok, for "historical references" here's my notes on Tel-Ray. This is combined from various tidbits of information and clues so take it with a grain of salt.

In the late 1950's the Lubow Brothers, Raymond "Ray" Lubow and Marvin "Marv" Lubow, invented a tape-less echo effect system that worked by storing electrostatic data to a rotating metal disc immersed in non-conductive oil. This invention, named "Adineko Memory System", was soon given the nickname "oil can delay" due to its appearance. To have a front to market their invention and products, Lubow brothers founded the Tel-Ray Electronics. Because a delay effect can be used as the basis of various other effects, such as echoes, reverbs, vibratos choruses, etc., the Adineko Memory System was used to create a multitude of different designs like "Variable Delay", "Organ Tone" (rotary speaker simulation) and Echo-Ver-Brato (an effect that combined delay, vibrato, reverb and fuzz).

Tel-Ray introduced a Supernova-series of solid-state amplifiers in the late 1960's. Judging by photos I've seen of various Supernova amplifiers, the production of this series may have continued as far as to the late 1980's. The first models have a very distinct vintage look and design but there are also models that have a very "modern" cosmetic appearance and design. A Tel-Ray price list from 1971 lists two reflex speaker enclosures and amplifier models SN I (150W head, featuring reverb, tremolo, echo and rotating sound), SN II (90W 2x12" combo, featuring reverb, tremolo and rotating sound), RT I (150W head, featuring reverb and tremolo) and RT II (90W 2x12" combo, featuring reverb and tremolo). The true range of models is unknown to me.

At least in the later runs of the Supernova series, bulk of production was outsourced to subcontractors. One source claims that in the early 1970's Syn-Cordion Company of Long Island, NY exclusively handled the manufacturing. Another source claims that at least the power amplifier circuit in one of the Supernova amplifiers is identical to a late transistor Sano 1000R amplifier. The Sano affiliation looks apparent but the real truth is likely a bit more complex: Some Supernovas I've seen have an "Iorio" badge, which refers to Iorio brand of Syn-Cordion Musical Instruments Corp., a company founded by Iorio family. Iorio was mainly an organ manufacturer so it is quite likely that Iorio's business partner (which not so surprisingly was Sano Corporation) actually manufactured the Iorio amplifiers. Then, amongst other models from Syn-Cordion/Iorio, Orion Bluebook lists models Supernova I, II, II-85 and II-85S. The most striking thing is that these models are dated to 1986!

In its heydays the Adineko Memory System was also licensed to several companies such as Fender, Gibson, Vox, Univox, Rickenbacker and Acoustic Control Corp. who either used the Adineko modules as an integrated part of their own designs or simply re-branded the products produced by Tel-Ray. The Ventures and their Mosrite Distribution Company also briefly tried to produce a Mosrite echo effect but the plans failed on prototyping stage.

Throughout its history the Lubow brothers' Adineko System was granted three patents (US Patents #2,892,898, #3,072,543 and #3,215,911). Also, before the invention of Adineko Raymond had also patented a reverberation device where speaker's output signal was channelled through a long tube to a transducer that picked up the reverberated sound. Tel-Ray Electronics was also granted a patent for the system that allowed controlling musical effects with a plectrum.

In 1970's the Tel-Ray changed its name to Morley, still continuing to manufacture the solid-state version of the Adineko System as "Electrostatic Delay Line". By 1980's, the bucket brigade delay technology had refined and turned inexpensive and the complex, mechanical oil can delay unit could no longer compete with the compact and reliable IC chips. Thus the production of Adineko Memory System units was seized. Morley was sold to Sound Enhancements, Inc. in 1989.

--

In addition, a Google search should find a devoted Tel-Ray / Oil Can Delay website and a discussion forum.