Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Recycled trannies useful??

Started by iTzALLgoOD, December 05, 2007, 07:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iTzALLgoOD

I got a hold of a couple of battery back-up (the ones for your computer) transformers.  I'm guessing that they are 12-14 volt and maybe 7-10 amp.  Would this be something that I could use for a chipamp?  I am only a little bit familiar with power supply's.  Is it possible to build a suitable power supply with a simple but beefy transformer?  Thanks for any info.  John

joecool85

Well, yes, "simple but beefy transformer(s)" are useful for building amps with.  That said, I don't think you will be able to use a transformer only kicking out 12-14v.  After rectification you would be right around +/-10v, which is enough to power a LM1875, but only to 4-5 watts (maximum power output is 30watts using +/-30v).  You could tie two or more transformers together to get higher voltage though.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

iTzALLgoOD

What about a voltage doubling circuit.  I should still have enough amperage. Or are those a bad idea for audio applications.  Either way I do have 2 of them.

joecool85

Quote from: iTzALLgoOD on December 06, 2007, 02:03:20 PM
What about a voltage doubling circuit.  I should still have enough amperage. Or are those a bad idea for audio applications.  Either way I do have 2 of them.

I'm going to guess a voltage doubling circuit would add noise to the amp, also it complicates the amp building quite a bit.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com