Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 11:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

40Watt Solid State guitar amp Speaker Question

Started by zeni, December 11, 2008, 02:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeni

Hi All,
I know nothing of guitar amps. I have a 40Watt Solid State guitar amp. It's pretty old, it doesnt even have a brand name so I dont have much info on it. It has an 8" speaker and I would like to replace it because all the time I take the Vol. to 8 it sounds loud but starts distorting. I found a fender 12" 75W 8ohm speaker, which I dont know what an ohm is, and a 10" 50 Watt which says 4/8/16/32 ohm impedance. Will any of these work? and if they do will it make the amp louder? I can't find out the ohm on my amp. Your help is greatly appreciated.

joecool85

SS amps are pretty forgiving as to what ohm speaker you run and it's a pretty safe bet that it takes an 8ohm anyway.  I'd hook that one up (the 75w 8ohm Fender) and see how you like it.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

zeni

Thanks Joecool85. Do you think it'll help my amp get louder or it should be the same volume i get now? Its pretty loud now but with the 8" i guess the speaker can't handle that volumebecause it starts distorting.

Jack1962

If you are just wanting it to be louder use a 4 ohm speaker or parallel 2  4 ohms down to 2 ohms , do not drop below 2 ohms , Solid State or Tube amps don't not like speakers below 2 ohms are above 16 Ohms.

joecool85

It should be louder.  As a rule a 12" speaker will be much louder than an 8".  My dean markley k-20x is driving a 10" Dean Markley cab right now and it is MUCH louder than when it is driving the stock 8" speaker.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com