Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Using a small Tube amp as an effect loop??

Started by Shogun1011, December 04, 2008, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogun1011

Hey all,
I'm new here...gotta a quick question about running two guitar amps together.

I've got a Fender Power Chorus solid state 400w 2x12 amp.  I also have a fender Champ 600 class A tube amp (5watts).  I want to add some tube sound to my Power chorus, and was wondering if it'd be safe to connect the Fender champ tube amp to the power chorus via the Effects loop?

is there a prefered way to accomplish what i'm trying to do? (aside from buying a big tube amp/tube pedal/tube preamp).

Thanks,
shamus

armstrom

You could run the output of your CHAMP into an attenuator box (both for output impedance matching as well as overall signal attenuation) and then run that output back into your higher powered SS amp. Ted Weber sells a wide variety of nice attenuators that would do the trick. Of particular interest are the "MASS" models. They use a real speaker motor as the dummy load rather than a power resistor. This provides a more realistic load simulation to the tube amp.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Shogun1011

Quote from: armstrom on December 04, 2008, 01:12:50 PM
You could run the output of your CHAMP into an attenuator box (both for output impedance matching as well as overall signal attenuation) and then run that output back into your higher powered SS amp.

Thanks!  Wow..so attenuation boxes alter impedance too??  didn't know that.  while i'm on that topic though (back to the effects send/return option)..how does impedance work when you're using an effects send/return on an amp??  My champ has a 4ohm output.  Not sure about my Power chorus though.  I'm very novice with this stuff, so as much detail as to how it all works would be great help :)

Thanks!
Shamus

Jack1962

add a line out (if it doesn't have 1) to the tube amp and go head in on the SS Fender. Simple fix , output of 5 watts into the ffects loop is way to high.

Shogun1011

Quote from: Jack1962 on December 04, 2008, 04:04:44 PM
add a line out (if it doesn't have 1) to the tube amp and go head in on the SS Fender. Simple fix , output of 5 watts into the ffects loop is way to high.

Perfect!!  That's what I'll do.  Thanks!

Jack1962

nothin to it bro

Rock On