Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:32:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Jesus Amp

Started by nopainkiller, November 03, 2008, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopainkiller

I recently built a solid state amp out of a lunchbox with the last supper on it. I made it two amps, actually, one for drum machine on one side, and the other for guitar. Both bridged lm386 designs. I've added a second input to the clean amp for bass and anything else I want to plug in. There are three battery clips (one for the booster) inside for 9vs and two plugs for 9v adapters for the amps. The design was based on the noisy cricket from beavis audio, but I bridged it, and made the buffer more like the ruby from runoffgroove.com. I put in a passive bass cut, a passive middle scoop on push/pull for mid "boost" passive tone, the two lm386s gain is controlled by a dual gang 5k pot. The volume pot is 50k, and there's a buncha other mods to it, like switchable input caps, and a special bright mod that you can only to bridged lm386 designs. It's also got an onboard EH LPB-1 booster on it. It's so small I just stuck it in there with a batrtery. I'm going to put in another battery and wire up a fetzer valve circuit into it today when the parts come in.  True bypassed and all.

I had to rebuild the guitar side once after putting in an output for a guitar cab. This version misbehaves. it seems to be a little gritty and kinda breaks up. With the booster on this problem goers away. This problem isn't so bad because I like the way the boost sounds better anyway, but there;s other strange things. Like when I'm plugged into the amp and it's off, and I turn on the amp I built in my guitar the tone and volume knobs act strange. Barely turn the knobs and the signal goes out. This doesn't happen when I'm plugged into anything else. What causes this?

Also when I play the amp through the guitar cab, I turn down the knobs on my guitar, like my bass cut or the volume and it starts to shreik horrible. I can only play at full blast through the cab. What's going on???

nopainkiller

nopainkiller

the fetzer valve is in!! Wired it with treu bypass unlike the LPB-1 boost, which uses a dpdt switch with the ground wired to turn on the battery. It does the job. Only thing is I can only turn on the boost after the fetzer valve. It's backwards! But there's so much stuff in here that I can't really switch it around. Its starting to get crowded! Wish I could post a picture of the tiny circuit. I used a small long rectangular peice of perf board only 4 holes wide. I My camera is gone tho for now.

The problem with the break up is totally gone now! But I still get the wierd problem of my volume and tone knobs. What is this? Does it have something to do with input impedance, wutever that is?? Anybody here??