Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

greetings and champion 110

Started by markleehunter, September 01, 2008, 04:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markleehunter

Hi y'all.  I'm new here, name is Mark Lee Hunter.  I play mainly solo dance music, from Handy to Prince, usually open tunings with slide.  Live in France, play out often. Gear: Reverend USA and import guitars (I'm a senior contributor on the Reverend forum), also USA Washburn and Curlee, Supro Resophonic, Charvel bass, Hohner OSC.  I like buying cheap gear and fixing it up and have modded most of my guitars. Have NOT modded my amps, which include  Bassman 100 export head (big and HEAVY), a pair of Crate Powerblocks ( <3), Microcube, Pignose classic, and Champion 110.

I got the Champion 110 cheap a decade ago, thought it was OK in the store, have never liked it since.  Changed the speaker (for a mid-heavy Fenton, French, not bad), still don't like.  The treble on this thing just cuts my ears, hate it.  If I could cure that I could live fine with this amp.  So what I want to now is: Is there a fix for this sort of thing that involves, say, changing a capacitator?  If so, any good things to read before I change it (so as, say, not to get electrocuted)?  Or is this gonna be a killer job that drives me nuts? 

BTW, glad to see there's a forum like this.  I LOVE solid state and digital gear, because it's light, usually inexpensive, and can be made to sound great, and doesn't break or blow up all the time.  Why I bought 2 Powerblocks... Thanks in advance for any counsel.

Jack1962

Try a Jensen Mod or an Eminance Speaker, the Fentons have tons of highs slight mids and virtually no lows.

Rock On

markleehunter

Thanks man.  You mean, in effect, that this speaker choice worsened the pronlem?  Salesman told me the Fenton had low and mid predominance.  It sounded better than the stock Eminence in any case... underpowered speaker for very powerful amp.  Is there a Celestion you would recommend?

Jack1962

If your Champion is the 25 watt use the Vintage 30 or the greenback , otherwise I recommend the G12t-75.

Rock On

markleehunter

Many thanks.  After reading your replies I did some research.  The Jensen Mod50 has characteristics that seem to run nicely counter to the Champion 110's faults -- its highs are damped a bit, notably.  I do have Celestions in a Laney 112 cab and a Kustom Tube 12A and love 'em both.