Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:14:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Alright, who needs to build a cheap amp? I have kits!

Started by joecool85, April 18, 2006, 06:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Brian is setting me up with a couple lm1875 kits and maybe a lm4780 kit.  They should be in by the beginning of next week.  Who is interested?

I don't know exactly what I'll be getting, so I can't garantee anything till it comes in the mail, but its kinda first come first serve.  I'll just have you pay shipping.  Oh, and Brian wants whoever gets the kits to build them and take a bunch of photos.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

RDV

Me for one of the LM1875 kits, my 36VCT 56VA will be perfect for it!

RDV

joecool85

I thought you'd want a lm1875 kit  ;D  They sound great btw.  Is that tranny a toroidal?

**edit**
Wait, it couldn't a toroidal because you said it was center tapped.  Brian was hoping someone might build one with a toroidal.  I built one with a center tapped tranny and it clicks/pops when I shut off the amp, we think it has to do with the cheapo tranny I pulled from an old CB to use.
thatraymond.com

RDV

It's not a toroid but it's really a dual 18v secondary. It's a chassis mount Hammond and not noisey at all.

RDV

joecool85

K, well, its not like I wasn't going to give you the kit anyway lol.  What I'll do is after I get the stuff in the mail I will post about what I got, then when you decide what you want I will ship it and have you reinburse me on the shipping.
thatraymond.com

RDV

I can use connectors for the PS inputs and test different trannies if that's what he's after. I'm considering buying another 160VA toroid.

RDV

joecool85

That'd be perfect!  He really wants to test it in a bunch of different configurations.  IE, different transformers, different inputs (no preamp, preamp with guitar, cd player etc).  I've already tested my 2 channel lm1875 on my computer, and with guitar using my K-20X to lineout.  It sounds sweet with guitar.
thatraymond.com

RDV

If we prepare nice reports with pictures and stuff are we gonna be on chipamp.com?

RDV

joecool85

I'm sure he would put your amp(s) in the gallery if thats what you mean.
thatraymond.com

RDV

I need to start snooping around for a decent enclosure. The wrapper for those things is harder for me than the amp itself for sure.

RDV

Stompin_Tom

I'd be interested in a lm4780, but I'm afraid it'd take me too long to put together (and disappoint brian!)... I always think I'm going to have time to dedicate to these things, but I've had the parts for a phase 45 for about three months now without any progress!

Thanks for the offer, though!

joecool85

Well, it is a quick build if that matters at all.  My lm3886 took me only a few hours to get everything together.  Also, it seems I may be getting some lm3875s instead of lm4780s, Brian isn't sure what he wants to give me yet.  Like I said, I will know for sure when the kits come in.  All you would have to pay is shipping.
thatraymond.com

Stompin_Tom

I suppose if it's that easy I could find the time! And if it's only shipping, then I could spend extra cash on a nice tranny and/or enclosure. Well, let me know when you get the stuff and if you have any extra!! I'm sure I couldn't resist the project if it's in front of me!

I guess I can ask here, what else did you need to get to complete it? Tranny, shielded wire... I have all the other stuff that goes with stompbox building (jacks, soldering accouterments, etc.).

joecool85

The big thing is the transformer and the heatsink.  After that just a pot for volume control, and some jacks on the back to hook up the speakers.
thatraymond.com

RDV

Is he trying out a new layout for his LM3875 kits? I don't know why he'd need testing of the old ones.

RDV