Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:46:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Powering a 12v fan from my secondaries

Started by MrSimons, June 20, 2008, 01:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSimons

Hi All,

I have finished my amp (LM3886 Bass amp) quite some time ago and much of my success is due to what i have read in this forum.

I recently bought some cpu heatsink/fan combos, there were about 100 of them in a cardboard box outside some shop selling for 1 dollar each (like little puppies you cant resist), so i got 3 of them...

I was thinking of using one of these as a heat sink for my amp since its in a quite small enclosure (an emptied out computer power unit). also because i am quite paranoid about the heat etc... its purely psychological, i know!

I was wondering first of all if someone has any experience with this kind of thing.
My transformer has un-utilised secondaries i think 7.5v - 0 - 7.5v which i would like to use for this matter.
I am guessing the fans are 12v, although there is no indication.

I am not too sure what implications something like that would have, and how should i power it from the secondaries, i probably need to give it dc so some kind of diodes or recitifier..
can the secondary amperage be a problem?

I am not the most experienced diy technician but i made it so far.

Much thanks, Gideon  :tu:

armstrom

if the transformer is center tapped then you could use the 15V secondary (don't use the center tap) to generate a 12V DC signal. You would need to rectify the AC voltage to DC and then run it through a 12V regulator to get it down to the proper voltage. What ever you do don't just hook up the 7.5V AC to your fan :)

It's also likely that the CPU heat sink isn't large enough. Maybe you should post some pictures.
-Matt

MrSimons

Thanks Armstrom!

I will probably do it like you said, useing a recitifier and a 12v regulator. i must admit that the idea to hook up the 7.5ac did cross my mind , thats part of the reason i decided to get some more info in the forum  ;)

I will post a few picutres later today.

J M Fahey

Those little fans help, they´re definitively better than nothing at all. I once cured a client´s ADA Microtube100 with one of them. Obviously the 1U high rackmount chassis was marginally cooled. When used in stereo driving two 8 ohm Celestions, no problem at all, but when my client started using it bridged driving a single EVM12L, it would thermally shutdown after 1/2 hour of Heavy Metal. No physical space for a regular (80x80mm) fan, so a 40mm, 12V unit was pressed into service: no problems whatsoever in the last 3 or 4 years. I used a W004 Bridge and a 2200uFx25V capacitor. The almost 14dc Volts I get under load have not hurt it so far.