Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:38:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Power transformer question.

Started by Jaxon, February 25, 2008, 09:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxon

I have a working transformer that came out of a Crate 80 watt tube/mosfet amp from the 90s. It has no markings on it and Crate apparently doesn't give away their schems. How can I tell what the secondaries provide? Would it be as simple as hooking it up and measuring the secondary leads with a meter?

darwindeathcat

First off, I am NOT an expert in this. But I have successfully measures AC secondaries on transformers that I scavanged out of old audio equipment, and that had no markings on them. I believe that as long as you are sure which end is the primary (ie. if it still has a mains power cable and plug attached), you are fairly safe testing the secondaries with a standard multimeter. The issue of very very very unsafe voltages comes into play if you don't know which end is which. If you accidentaly attach the secondaries to mains power, you may be dealing with thousands of volts coming out the otherside (the transformer transforms UP instead of down if you connect it backwards).
   I have measured secondaries of around 30 - 40 VAC with my small multimeter with no issues. Mind you, I attach the meter to the secondary wires with test clips, turn the meter on the right setting (for AC voltage reading), and then stand back and plug the transformer in... I read the meter at a distance, then UNPLUG the transformer before I disconnect the meter. I do this just to be safe, and it's always better to be safe than sorry!
__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------

Jaxon

No doubt, caution is utmost!  OK, I'll give it a go when I get back home. Thanks