Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:58:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

help with 70's solid state head

Started by luca brasi, December 10, 2007, 12:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luca brasi

its an old peavey standard 260.i want to overdrive it at a lower volume level,but it has only one volume control,i looked into hotplates,but they damage ss amps.can i just mod a second volume switch into it?they make other versions of my amp with a master volume so i dont think those 260s would be terribly different.im sure somebody on here knows a hevck of a lot more about this then i do.

joecool85

Quote from: luca brasi on December 10, 2007, 12:20:23 AM
its an old peavey standard 260.i want to overdrive it at a lower volume level,but it has only one volume control,i looked into hotplates,but they damage ss amps.can i just mod a second volume switch into it?they make other versions of my amp with a master volume so i dont think those 260s would be terribly different.im sure somebody on here knows a hevck of a lot more about this then i do.

Well, you could try to find the schematics for both your amp and the one you want to modify it to look like (could prove difficult, but maybe not).  Or, you could use a speaker attenuator which would basically allow your amp to work harder while producing less volume.

Here are some good thoughts on the subject, about half way down the page (for a valve jr tube amp, but it works the same really): http://www.valvejunior.com/
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com