Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Heat from LM386? (noisy cricket)

Started by andrew_k, October 29, 2007, 01:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_k

Hi, I'm about to embark on my first electronics project more complex than wiring a guitar -- the noisy cricket amp (radioshack version) and I have a question regarding my intended housing for the amp.

I'm planning on squeezing the amp in a very small space, inside a rubber/plastic toy. The datasheet for the LM386 says its operating temp is 70 celcius; should I be allowing "breathing space" around the circuit? If the answer is yes, would adding ventilation holes to the enclosure increase the likelyhood of RF interference? (is RF actually a concern? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing  :duh )
Is a heatsink a good idea considering the limited space the amp will be squeezed into and the fact that summer temps often raise above 35 celcius? Does anyone know of a heatsink that is suitable for an LM386?

Thanks!

joecool85

Quote from: andrew_k on October 29, 2007, 01:58:50 AM
Hi, I'm about to embark on my first electronics project more complex than wiring a guitar -- the noisy cricket amp (radioshack version) and I have a question regarding my intended housing for the amp.

I'm planning on squeezing the amp in a very small space, inside a rubber/plastic toy. The datasheet for the LM386 says its operating temp is 70 celcius; should I be allowing "breathing space" around the circuit? If the answer is yes, would adding ventilation holes to the enclosure increase the likelyhood of RF interference? (is RF actually a concern? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing  :duh )
Is a heatsink a good idea considering the limited space the amp will be squeezed into and the fact that summer temps often raise above 35 celcius? Does anyone know of a heatsink that is suitable for an LM386?

Thanks!

No worries, I run mine in a small plastic pocket radio case, it has NEVER overheated or melted plastic.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com