Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Update and upgrade Peavey Century

Started by phydauex, October 12, 2010, 01:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phydauex

Howdy All,

First off, I've been coming here for info for awhile and decided to get on board.  Thanks to everyone in the past for the great advice & insights.

My current project in front of me is an older Peavey Centry (200 series),  that I've worked on before had a couple blown output devices (original RCA 62792)  with weird noise and shorting problems.  Turned out to be broken leads on the driver transformer, and several burned resistors that i think fried when the trans shorted. 

Got that dealt with and replaced the blown outputs.  Six months later, it's back with 2 more blown outputs, one on each side of the transformer.  One of them was another old one and one of the new ones I replaced (2n3055 from RatShack).  With those out the amp turns on and plays ok with the remaining two outputs, albeit at half power.  I know I probably should have replaced all four, but I didn't, lesson learned.

I said all that to say I'd like to use a more reliable higher rated transistor than the  2n3055, and I know from digging that there are options.  From a design standpoint, should I look for something that has a higher voltage rating (MJ15015), but simiilar current & HFE ratings, OR  a device that has higher specs in every catagory (ie MJ15001, MJ15003)? 
I want this to be more reliable for the player and not have it back every 6 months to replace the outputs.  As far as I can tell nothing else looks out of place voltage wise, and I'm chaulking this up to marginal parts.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Sorry, I can't seem to find the schematic on line.  I have a paper copy in front of me***

phydauex

Just looking at it again and one pair of outputs is running 67v on the collector.  This is supposed to be a 60v device, maybe a little too close for comfort?

Popped in a couple replacements , seems stable, not lighting up my bulb limiter at all.

Still has the original giant cap in power supply (3500uf/80v).  I have no idea what kind of life span those computer grade caps have, seems to filter the b+ pretty good, little ripple.

Matt

J M Fahey

Use the beefiest you can find.
Enzo usually suggests MJ15024.
Replace all 4 and sleep like a baby.
You can scan the schematic, either at home, or school or cybercafe and post it here.
Check that the small print stays readable..
Schematics are always welcome.

Enzo

I like the MJ15024, but certainly the MJ15003 is more than enough transistor here as well.   I see no problem with the MJ15015,either, but I don't happen to stock them.  I do stock the others, they are common in amps, or were.  OEMs are getting away from TO3 trasnsistors these days.

phydauex

Thanks,  I have a set of MJ15003's on order.  Good to have a resource to ask questions of, while I figure this stuff out.
Matt