Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:06:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

What kind of speakers?

Started by Northwave, April 27, 2007, 08:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northwave

Simple question really, what kind of speakers do you run your DIY amps through?
Commercial cabinets, DIY guitar cabinet or "hifi"-stuff?

I've got a 8", 8ohm sub speaker lying here so I thought I might use that in a DIY cabinet of MDF or something, atleast for starters. What do you think?

d4v1d5hu13r

I would save $130[or more] depending on how many speakers your wanting. I would go with Celestion Vintage 30 Greenback's. I want a pair for my amp badly. They'll get even a 1 watt amp to 100db...

syndromet

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jensen-Mod-12-Speakers-for-Marshall-Amps-NR_W0QQitemZ110118073152QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Jensen mod get great reviews. I use two 1x12 Diy cabbinetts built with HH premier Vintage 60 ripped from a Laney VC50. Sunds amazingly good. I think the greenbacks are overrated, and would rather buy some weber speakers if I was spending that amount of money.

teemuk

Long story short: Stay away from "HiFi-stuff". They are generally inefficient and cook up fast when you run distorted signal through them. Guitar speakers are designed for guitar amps and usually provide the best results in the concerned application. I try to avoid using Celestions: I don't like the company's "marketing strategy" when compared to one of Jensen's or Eminence's who at least provide adequate specs of their products.

Northwave

Yeah, I've been looking for som Jensen MOD as modern sound is what my tone is all about, but theres no dealer in my country (Norway) or anywhere near it seems. Haven't even found a decent UK dealer. I dont need the 100db of the vastly overpriced Celestions for my use, but Celestions seem to be the only thing available to me. (freighting cost from the US is wayy expensive)

But I'm still considering a custom DIY cabinet tho, any resources on that syndromet?

syndromet

Hey! I fellow norwegian! About time.... If you find an ebayer who will ship overseas, the shipping from USA to Norway is about the same pricelevel as shipping within norway. Just be aware of the customs and VAT regulations. You could also look for used speakers over at www.musikkmagasinet.no Thats where I got mine.