Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:56:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Vox hybrid project

Started by johngovan1234, November 24, 2018, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngovan1234

I made a vox top boost preamp. And i'd like to hook it into a class d TPA3116 power amp. Should i put preamp or buffer or DI circuit to the tpa3116 amp? Or hook the vox preamp straight into the tpa3116 input? Hope someone might help me. Thank you.

edvard

You should be able to simply hook it right in.  Make sure you have a large-ish decoupling capacitor at the power amp input.  I see from the datasheet they recommend 1uf caps at both INPR/L and INNR/L pins.  That should be a good start. 

johngovan1234

Thank you so much. I'll try your recommendations. I hope it will work well. :)

edvard

Be sure to read the datasheet docs very carefully.  Class D amplifiers can be somewhat different beasts from 'normal' ones, and I don't have any personal experience with them; I just noted what is on the datasheet.  I also noticed that the input pins are supposed to be differential.  Does that mean the INN pins can be grounded and the INP pins carry signal?  I don't know, and it would probably be worth it to find out.  Read the docs and do a little searching around.  It may turn out that you'll need a phase split circuit between the preamp and power amp.