Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:07:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Princeton Chorus got power, no sound at all

Started by jaguar123, August 01, 2016, 09:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

One last of the "easy"  or "doable by user" tests: plug headphones into the amp, do you get sound through them?

jaguar123

Thanks Enzo, it is reassuring to have your analysis of the testing thus far, makes me more confident that a good technician can sort it out.  I'm wanting to give it to a friend who has musical skills but a piece of crap of an amp, so I will take the next step to see if the repair is worth making.  Grateful for the help....

jaguar123

Hey JM, tried the headphones, and this is just weird, the jack won't go all the way in.  About halfway and then no farther, tried two different sets of headphones in case I had a defective jack, same thing

Enzo

That probably explains the whole thing.  If I had to guess, I'd say that someone plugged a headphones into that jack, and the tip broke off it.  Now the tip is stuck in the jack.  The stuck tip is causing the headphones jack to cut out the speakers like it is supposed to.  And the old tip is in the way of you plugging another headphone in there.

Look into that jack and then look into one of the other jacks to compare.  Do you see something in there?

If I recall, those jacks are not the kind you can easily poke a stuck tip out of, meaning you probably need to replace the jack.  No big, and likely as not, nothing else is wrong.  Might need to clean controls or something minor.

Take it to a shop and point out there seems to be something blocking the phones jack.  That should be a big enough clue for any tech.

jaguar123

Well that makes sense.  There is definitely a broken piece there.  Will take it to have the jack replaced and with luck that's all there is.  Amazing.  Will post the outcome and many thanks again!

jaguar123

The upshot of the trip to the technician, bypassing rather than replacing the headphone jack got one speaker to work, there were some issues getting the other side to work so altogether it was 120 bucks and now it's good as new.  Thanks for the help from everyone on the forum.

phatt

Good to hear you have a working amplifier now,, :dbtu: