Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:56:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Seeking service manual, Kustom Sienna 65 (KAA65) acoustic amp

Started by 3rd baseman, November 02, 2014, 08:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rd baseman

About to pick one up and I like to have repair info on hand. Kustom doesn't provide service manuals. Thanks for any info!

Later edit:
Kustom kame, I mean came, through! I now have a complete and very clean schematic with parts values marked, thanks to a nice guy at Kustom's parent company. He told me there is no service manual for the amp.

If somebody else needs it, email me and I'll send a pdf.

Major props to Kustom.

phatt

Thanks for that,  :tu: and welcome to the collective.  :)
Is it a dedicated acoustic amplifier?
phil.

3rd baseman

I'll betray my newbie status and confess that I don't know what's meant by a dedicated acoustic amp. I've noodled around for 50+ years with steel string folk guitars -- a Lowden 12-string cutaway since 1984 --  but never have used or owned an amp.

Here's a link to the amp. You tell me whether it's dedicated.

http://www.kustom.com/product_detail.aspx?TypeID=5&FamilyID=125&ProductID=265&Tab=2

Avery in Potomac, Md.

phatt

Yes it's an acoustic amplifier,, meaning it's especially designed for acoustic guitars, though I'm yet to hear one that improves the sonic experience of acoustic guitars over what is already around.
The only reason I ask is because I did get to play through a Kustom Elecrtic guitar amp a while back and it was quite good.

I just read the promo and specs so I'm adding stuff here that might help you come to grips with what goes on in guitar amplifier wonderland ;)

Be aware that ultra bright speakers can cause problems with a lot of piezo PU's which are now standard in most acoustic guitars. Piezos have an extreme frequency response and even with a lot of tricks built into the onboard preamp as well as the electronic wizardry used in the amplifiers the sound if often harsh.

Now add digital efx into the amplifier and the result can be down right obnoxious. I've heard and played seriously expensive elecro acoustics through some of these *dedicated acoustic amps* and sounded like a $100 toy.

As I play Acoustic as well as El Guitar I've had some experience with this type of gear.
In my country there has been a big rise in the popularity of an all in one small rig for one man bands and many manufacturers are trying all sorts of ideas and adding every possible option.
The promotional blab is often a very long winded way to disguise the fact the whole thing is an experiment they hope will work.

I'm sure a few have succeeded, I just have not found one. :-X

I worked on a Genz Benz a while back (another dedicated acoustic Amp rig) and it was pathetic,, claiming 60 watts but lucky if it was 10 Watts. ::)
The digi efx section looked like a very sad after thought being a daughter board that was shoved in a  corner with a badly over heating chip and would stop working after 10 minutes of hard playing. The owner sold it and went back to his old early Peavey Amp.
Now that I've run a list of negatives past you I hope your Kustom does deliver a good result,
Let us know how it travels.
Phil.

3rd baseman

Your comments and perspective are tremendously helpful and appreciated. I don't plan to layer on any digital efx other than at the beginning out of curiosity. The Lowden is too nice to junk up.

Your take on piezo pickups is valuable. A performer friend is urging me to look at the Myers percussion pickups http://www.myerspickups.com/home.html based on performance, quality and eliminating the need to modify the Lowden. Are you familiar with the Myers products?

I wasn't even thinking about getting an amp, but the Kustom was $100 and did seem to me like a decent acoustic amp. So I figured I could play around with it and if I don't like/need it, I can always sell it for at least as much as I paid.

It's being delivered by my son tomorrow and we'll see how it looks. Then I have to decide whether to mic it or install a pickup. I'm leaning toward Myers.

phatt

Hi 3rdB,
Yes the best reproduction is likely achieved with a microphone BUT I'm not to keen on that cluncky box hanging off the front with a heavy guitar cord hanging out like that. In a studio you might get away with it but in cramped live gigs I think that would be problematic.

how well things work is more often dependent on circumstances than the equipment used.

I've found most acoustic players tend to purchase the best acoustic axe because they love the tone then chase the the world looking for a way to amplify the that amazing tone. (been there done that) IME it's the hard way.

I have owned many Ac guitars from Martins to Matons. Now I own a Hornby Skews Chinese junk Ovation copy.
Acoustic only it sounds like a tin toy but the moment you plug in to some clever electronics (Which I designed) it's a whole new world of massive sound.

The Ovation concept is often not realized but if you care to note most of the flat back acoustics are prone to feedback and it's always an issue when amplifying acoustics at high levels, Jumbo bodies are often the first to squeal.

without getting to tecky, Two parallel surfaces will have a frequency where they oscillate so the front and back panels are a big problem. Obviously the bowl backs have far less trouble. Mine is the shallow bowel which is even better.

My good mate is the classic Acoustic guitar player who owns some very $fine guitars$ but he is always having feedback issues,,, While I have none.
I can also keep up with the electrics as far as big volume levels without Fback, a big asset when you are the front man trying to sing songs and have to pull a bunch of lost lead players out of a 5 minute lead break to sing the next verse.

So if all I wanted was the best Ac guitar and only played at home then yes I would purchase a different guitar but because I play live and often then it's a no braina for me.

Re those onboard plastic control panels found on most electro acoustics, I hate them as they are not accessible  and are usually so small you can't even see the knob let alone adjust it on the run so I mounted the volume on the front where I can access the volume control on the fly.

I've found it hard to get owners of big $$$ guitars to drill a very small hole on the front to mount a volume pot yet they don't even blink to have a 2 inch hole in the side for electronics even though the volume pot on the front is more user friendly and less invasive,,, I'll let you decide which one is more likely to effect the tone. :-X

If all you do is strum a few chords and on occasion plug in then use whatever works for you but IF you want a big sound when plugged in then you need to do a fair bit of digging to find a system that works. I've no doubt others will have ways which are just as good and may well be better for you this is just my way.

As to that meyers system I'd want it down away from my playing hand so I could access that volume knob without having to take my hand off the bridge.
Because I do a fair bit of finger picking not just chords so my palm has to be on the bridge and the control needs to be close.
The idea is valid I'd just want the box mounted in a different manner.

I've added a pic of my elcheapo, will give you an idea of what I mean.
The Volume on front is ALWAYS instantly accessible.
i just leave the electronics box set at 1 o'clock and never use it.

All that said I hope the mic works out and I have no doubt it will be a very realistic reproduction,,,, which brings me to the next problem most ElAcoustic players face,,the damn PA system plug in.

Piezo pickups rarely work well this way as most PA's have to much bandwidth which accentuates the icepick treble response which will make even the most exotic acoustic sound hollow and cheap. Less of an issue with a real mic but still worth note.

I now use an old keyboard amplifier with a simple tone system pedal as the only other sound altering device. The Amp does have spring reverb which is often all I use as effect.
cheers Phil.

Roly

"Acoustic" in connection with guitar amps means a few things to me that set an "acoustic" amp apart from a "normal" electric guitar amp.

That the amp and speaker will attempt to be Hi-Fi flat, at least for some control settings, and perhaps with a two or three way speaker system.

It implies that it will have a higher input impedance than normal available for raw piezo pickups, and may also have input mixing facilities for acoustic guitars also fitted with an internal dynamic (or electret) microphone.

It may offer phase reversal on one of its two inputs.

Lots of EQ, parametric notch filter feedback killer.

Tilt-back cab (for hippies on tall stools).

Another thing it may have is a strange wide-dispersion arrangement with its speakers.

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

Kidderman

Hi, I'm aware that it's a long time since you posted regarding a service manual/schematic for the Kustom Sienna acoustic amp, but if you still have a pdf copy which you could email to me, I'd be very grateful.

g1

aemx88

Hi,,
would it be possible to have a copy of the schematic.
My kustom is blowing the fuse, :(
so time for some trouble shooting

:o