Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Replacement speaker for Roland JC-50

Started by Rymdprofeten, December 18, 2013, 02:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rymdprofeten

The speaker in my 50 watt Jazz Chorus went out this weekend, so now I'm looking for a replacement. However, I don't know the ohm load. The only thing that's written on it is "Roland Heavy Transducer" and some markering rambling about how awesome it is. The JC-120 appears to be equipped with the same type of speaker, and in that case it's 8 ohm. Is it the same in the JC-50?

Suggestions for a new speaker are also welcome. I play garage/alternative with a hint of sludge/doom/stoner, so I'm looking for something that can handle the low end better than the stock speaker. I happen to have an Eminence Delta-12LF sitting around. It's meant to be used as a bass speaker, but could it work? My guitars are pretty bright (crappy Japanese surf axes from the 60s/70s), so I'm thinking maybe they'd be better balanced with a darker speaker than, say, a Les Paul or a jazz box.

Roly

Well the Jazz Chorus JC-120 drives an 8 ohm load, so it's a fair bet that this does too.

If the voice coil is still reasonably intact you can measure its resistance and this will be around 2/3rds of the rated impedance, e.g. around 5-6 ohms for an 8 ohm speaker.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.