Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:03:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Frontman 25R

Started by xXBazookaJoeXx, November 17, 2013, 01:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xXBazookaJoeXx

Hey guys! New to the forum! Glad to be here! 8| I'll preface this with saying that I have dabbled with tube amp modding and have actually done a few mods to my 6505+ to get a better sounding clean channel. Plus a few EQ tweaks on the lead channel to cut more of the higher mids and less of the low mids. So here's my problem. I have a Fender Frontman 25R and I love the gain structure of this amp and I can get an overall good tone out of it but the low end is lacking extremely. I was looking at the schematic for it and I don't really understand it's EQ network! I'm used to seeing the tide and true Marshall and Fender circuits. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to talking to my fellow tone freaks and EQ Tweaks! X]

xXBazookaJoeXx

I added the schematic below. The link wasn't working.

J M Fahey

Rather than new EQ you need a new cabinet/speaker

joecool85

Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Roly

Basically a 10-inch speaker in a small shallow box simply can't reproduce bass.  Try connecting it to a larger cab, say a 2x12, and be amazed at the difference.

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

joecool85

Quote from: Roly on November 27, 2013, 08:49:28 AM
Basically a 10-inch speaker in a small shallow box simply can't reproduce bass.  Try connecting it to a larger cab, say a 2x12, and be amazed at the difference.

I had a 10" Dean Markley PA cab that I hooked to my LM3886 amp (when I had it) that sounded good and had plenty of bass.  That said, it was quite a large box.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Roly

Quote from: joecool85it was quite a large box.

It's not the speaker diameter alone ('tho the basic free air resonance goes up as the diameter goes down), but the lack of air volume behind a sealed speaker (or a short front-to-back air path with an open back cab) that will be the dominant factor.  When you put a driver in a sealed cab the driver resonant frequency is raised quite significantly, and the smaller the box the more it is raised.  When you discover that this resonant frequency represents a cliff below which the response falls off like a brick, you understand why small boxes can't reproduce bass.

InB4 what about bookshelf speakers?

Basically what a small enclosure does with bass frequencies is produce third harmonic, and this works subjectively due to an effect called the "replaced fundamental", our brain hears the third harmonic and produces a subjective effect of the fundamental.  But one thing that this subjective effect cannot do is vibrate your chest cavity (and if I play Toto's Africa through my W-bin the kick drum and bass physically hit you in the chest, you actually feel it - but then it's flat down to something absurd).
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.