Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:27:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

like to build my own practice amp

Started by guitarman1, July 24, 2013, 10:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarman1

hi guys and gal i am new here i like to build a small practiec amp but i dont know where to start and are they easy to build and is it cheap to build i have a lot speakers at home and i would like get diagrams

stormbringer

Hey. In my opinion i wouldnt say that building your own stuff gets much cheaper, atleast not while learning. It will definately be more fun though. :)

It depends alot on what type of amplifier and sound you are looking for. About where to start, how experienced in electronics are you? :)

guitarman1

that is a funny answer i know jack about that stuff but willing to learn see i build fishing rods but i have not played my guitar for 28yrs

Roly

Speaking very generally there are four elements to building an amp; the power supply, the power amplifier, the preamplifier, and the physical mounting of all the bits into a going unit (and of course some sort of loudspeaker and cabinet, but that's not strictly part of the "amp").

There are many more ways of addressing each of these elements than there are of killing a cat or cooking a fish, and a long browse through some of the threads here will expose the detail of how you cope with each of the various parts.

If you have no electronics building experience at all then it's best to start with something small and simple and work up to larger projects as you gain experience.  One popular very small and simple project is the Noisy Cricket.  After you have gained some experience, built a few stomp boxes and blown some stuff up you can move up to projects like the Lamington.

If you get (or build) a reasonable speaker cab it is surprising how much racket a tiny amp can make.

One thing you can be sure of is that whatever mad idea you may come up with there will be people here who will take you seriously and try and help.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

guitarman1

do you have any diagrams at buddy
as i am into country music

Roly

Click on the "Noisy Cricket" link in my post above.

This is about as basic as they come.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.