Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:20:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Speaker Suggestions for Fender eighty five deluxe?

Started by Zani1, March 05, 2013, 06:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zani1

Trying to tighten up the bottom end on my 85 deluxe and cut out some of the harshness in the treble when I use distortion.  Anybody have any ideas in terms of replacement speakers?

phatt

If you point us to a schematic of the amp then you may have a better chance. :tu:

*IF* the Amp is similar to the Fender ones I've heard  and worked on then it will take a lot more than speakers to make a real impact on tone.

That said speakers can help a lot.

IM Experience fender (as do a lot of other brand names ) use very bright sounding speakers but if you are chasing those darker sounds then they become a real PITA.
Phil.

Zani1

Here is a copy of the schematic.  Thinking about building a closed back cab for it and rigging a harness for 2 12s.   
http://www.bustedgear.com/resources.htm

J M Fahey

Harshness is natural in that Fender distortion and they have tweaked it as far as it can go, you won't extract much more juice out of that already crushed lemon.
But yes, better speakers/cabinet never hurt.
2x12" in a closed cabinet is a step in the right direction.
Using "good" Celestions or the Eminence version of the British originals will also help.
Magic? none involved nor needed.

phatt

That schemo is not clear enough to read but I found another and hoping it is the right one.

You could just kill some bottom end going to the poweramp?

C33 is 22uF,, try 2u2 or lower,, suck it and see.

I'd even test out 50nF as the Z input to power chip is ~ 100k so you should still have a fair wack of bass left but less mud.

This won't fix the insane harshness.

For a quick fix of that,,Look at C26 only 50pF,, try 150 pF or even 250pF.

All this will depend very much on the drivers you end up using. (Take note of Fahey's comment re speakers) 8|

A wise old teck once said that you design an amp from the speaker first then build the circuit to match,,, after 30 odd years tearing my hair out trying to get my head around it all ,, I tend to agree with that observation.

Only your ears will know when to stop.
Sometimes is just easier to get another amp that suits your style. :-X

Phil.