Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gorilla GG-20 output problem

Started by chirhomin, December 15, 2012, 12:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chirhomin

Ok, so I was rooting around in my parents' attic and found my very first amp, an old Gorilla GG-20 30 watt amp.  I plugged it in, plugged my guitar in, and nothing happened.  I hooked up my headphones to the headphone jack and it worked.  However, it sounds like my pots must be really dirty, cause it was crackling and buzzing and popping every time I adjusted the volume, gain, etc.  Any ideas on where to start to resolve this problem?  I bought a multimeter shown in the multimeter video on this forum, but I'm at a loss for where to start troubleshooting.  Thanks for any suggestions!

DrGonz78

Clean the headphone jack to make sure dirty contacts are not shunting the speaker signal. So it works with headphones but the pots are dirty. Get some Deoxit or other type of cleaner and spray out the dirt build up in the pots. Also, would be a good idea to make sure the speaker output wires are really connected.   
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

Roly

Yep, sounds like dirt and oxidisation in your pots and the switch contact in the headphone socket that turns the speaker off.  Metho will also serve as a pot and socket cleaner if you can't get a specific product.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

chirhomin

Thanks, guys!  I will try it this afternoon!

GIMAGUITARS

NOTHING SCREAMS LIKE A GORILLA.  For those of you who have never owned or seen a Gorilla amp, this is the slogan on the sticker they placed on the back of the speaker. http://s1325.beta.photobucket.com/user/GIMAGUITARS/library/