Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:47:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Kustom 100 head

Started by phatt, March 11, 2013, 09:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Thumbs up for this one,,I've been playing at the local pub (Sunday arvo jam) and I noted a chap used this Amp through a PA which at first sounded horrible but I was impressed that he quickly dialed in a sound that was Very much the classic thick marshall sound.
He was playing a stock Mex strat,, no pedals.

So I looked it up and first hit was this;
http://guitar-dreamer.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/kustom-quad-100-dfx-mod.html

Wow how lucky you can be sometimes.
Note the link to a PDF of the Schemo as well. :dbtu:

I'm not much interested in the digi efx trip, it's more the analog preamp section that impressed me. This is likely considered a cheap Amp but boy oh boy it nails that classic sound very well.

My guess (after some quick and dirty simulations) I Note the input is much like a lot of fender SS inputs which kills everything below ~100hZ. Then C13 and C15 roll off a big slope above 3khZ forming a close to perfect Marshall response curve.

IC8B is obviously some kind of cab sim (which I've not yet simulated). This drives IC8A , a balanced line out. Which is the output that drove the PA and the sound I heard.
I've not had time to play through the rig myself but my ears are experienced enough to recognize that classic sound. 8)
May not be a heavy metal machine but a few pedals might evoke some other tones.

Having spent many hours trying all sorts of cab sim type circuits which are often complicated,, this might be a much simpler build as I would not need all the fancy switching for crunch, clean, drive, boost and efx.

Hum, I might have to get out the bread board and do some testing.
Damn so many ideas I get but I run out of time to test them all.  >:(

Interested in hearing others who have heard/used this Amplifier?
Ed; Oh forgot to ask;
Any of you talented folks wish to make observations pro or cons,, I'm all ears.
Phil.

newbiediy

I'm very interested, Phill. I followed your link but was unable to find the pdf link. A direct link would be appreciated.
Thanks before.
Sorry for my bad English. We say "laik dis" instead of "like this" in Facebook. :P

Roly

Kustom
Used by Creedence Clearwater Revival.
Padded covering
Two front ports
Came in 'orrible colours

If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

phatt

Hi Roly,, ? link seems to work ok for me.
Not to worry Schemo here;
https://rapidshare.com/files/2168011693/quad_100dfx_kustom_guitar_amp_sm.pdf

The Amp head in question, see pic.

The chassis could easy fit into a much smaller box.
Obviously trying to make it look big for the Valvey look fashion statement,, Like wot 4???
Uses a STK404-100 chip as poweramp.

Yep I do recall seeing a few of those bright pin cushioned heads around in my youth. lol.
Phil.