Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:21:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Orange Crush 15r White Noise

Started by Benighted, September 15, 2012, 06:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benighted

Hello all, I've got an Orange Crush 15r that was knocked over at a party and since then it makes a very loud static noise when the gain is set anywhere above 0. The sound increases and decreses with volume. When using headphones the sound comes out of the headphones not the speaker so I'm guessing it's not a speaker issue. The noise exists if a guitar is plugged in (you can still hear the guitar as well) and also exists if nothing is plugged in, however, if I plug in a guitar cable with nothing on the other end of it the noise stops.

I've checked the Earths and they seem to be connected OK, and checked the board and can't see any obvious soldering issues. Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly  appreciated  :)

J M Fahey

Take *close* look to the solder side of the PCB whwre the input jack is soldered.
I guess you have some cracked pad or track.
Retiuch solders there.
You may also put a new jack there.
I bet "knocked over" included either somebody pulling the guitar cable *hard* or the amp landing on its face ... over the protruding guitar plug.

Benighted

It didn't have anything plugged in to it at the time, just got knocked over by a couple of kids (face first). I've resoldered the input jack and the noise is still there, I'll have to get hold of a new jack to try. Is it likely to be a jack problem if the noise goes away when a cable (without guitar attached) stops the noise?

It is possble that the kids were playing with the amp and maybe put something in the socket I suppose.

J M Fahey

I suspect cracked tracks in a PCB that somehow gets reseated properly when the plug is inserted.
Just guessing of course, without actually seeing it.
And then, "seeing" would involve good light and a powerful magnifier or at least +4 reading glasses, to be able to see it from real up close.

joecool85

Quote from: J M Fahey on September 18, 2012, 01:40:18 AM
I suspect cracked tracks in a PCB that somehow gets reseated properly when the plug is inserted.
Just guessing of course, without actually seeing it.
And then, "seeing" would involve good light and a powerful magnifier or at least +4 reading glasses, to be able to see it from real up close.

I agree.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Benighted

I find it odd that the noise goes away if I don't have a guitar on the other end of the cable but do have the noise with no input or with a cuitar plugged in. Anyway, I've replaced the input and still get the noise, can't see any cracks on the PCB but can't find my magnifying glass to check that, think I'm going ot have to refer this to an expert and either pay the money or ditch the amp.

Thanks for all the help

joecool85

Quote from: Benighted on September 23, 2012, 05:58:17 AM
I find it odd that the noise goes away if I don't have a guitar on the other end of the cable but do have the noise with no input or with a cuitar plugged in. Anyway, I've replaced the input and still get the noise, can't see any cracks on the PCB but can't find my magnifying glass to check that, think I'm going ot have to refer this to an expert and either pay the money or ditch the amp.

Thanks for all the help

That is weird.  Can you supply some pics of the PCB?  Maybe we will notice something you have missed.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com