Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 04:22:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Impedence question....

Started by FRANKJC, June 21, 2012, 01:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANKJC

Quick question. How critical is it to match the impedence on a solid state amp? I always make sure I do it on tube amps. The reason I ask is that there's a 50 watt 2x12 combo where I rehearse and there is a hole in one speaker. I was wondering if I would cause any damage by just unplugging the bad speaker.

J M Fahey

If you go *up* (as in unplugging 1 speaker) it's no big deal.
You'll just lose some power.
Anyway you can repair a hole in the cardboard with a paste made of toilet paper and some white carpenter's glue.
Apply it on both sides, not too thick, only somewhat thicker than the original cardboard, smooth it with your finger wet with a little glue and let it dry overnight.

FRANKJC

Interesting. Do you shred the paper towel, or use it as a patch? It's a pretty big hole, I think I got 2 fingers in it. I didn't get a good look at it, I just poked around through the hole in the grill cloth. Pretty sure there's no piece missing though. I will take a look next time I am there.

Roly

It is not a good idea to operate any cab with one speaker inoperative; never mind the impedance, it behaves as if it has a dirty great hole in it where the un-driven speaker is, which can be most unkind to the remaining speakers.

I've used PVA woodworking glue to repair torn cones, and to "splint" gaps with toilet paper or paper towel.  The aim is to try and restore the cone as much as possible to original condition, and not to add too much mass in one place.

I've never tried pulping the paper first but I'll keep it in mind the next time I have a damage speaker cone to repair, thanks JM.  :tu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Maybe you got lucky and there is no paper missing, it's just torn .
In that case bend it back into normal the best you can, try to align the edges, and draw a white PVA glue bead along them, both sides (inside and outside).
Wait 5 minutes, the paper will absorb the glue and become softer.
With a small brush or toothpich "comb" the fibers across the gap, if possible.
If the edges touch each other, glue alone is enough.
If there's ,say, 1 mm missing, tissue+glue will make a filler paste.
If larger sections (say, 1 inch gap) are missing, glue printer paper on the back side (because it will be *ugly*) and reinforce from the front with some tissue+glue paste.
Smooth it with your fingers.
When dry, some black latex paint will make it almost invisible.
Remember that all paper id born from a liquid "soup" of cellulose fiber+water+glue to which lamp black is added for speakers (cheapest lightest stable "dye")

leadplayer

if the amp is stereo you can blow the side that you disconnect the speaker on

Roly

Quote from: leadplayer on July 10, 2012, 10:30:49 PM
if the amp is stereo you can blow the side that you disconnect the speaker on

OP specifically said it was a solid state amp, and operating a solid state amp without a load will not harm it.  A valve/tube amp will be damaged by being driven without a load.

sewage666

If you wanna spend $1, use a dollar bill. It's a strong fabric-woven paper.

I've had success on the road saving a speaker with a hole in the cone by patching on both sides with toilet paper and coating it in nail polish. I didn't wanna spend the $1 on my guitarist's speaker. It wasn't like new, but it sounded a ton better.

Fretts

Right... the new version is T.P. and super glue but same idea.

Roly

Okay if you still have cannabis-fiber money  ;)  but here in Oz-tralia we changed over to plastic a while ago and I think it's superglue-proof.  While PVA+paper is fine on the actual cone, when it comes to splits on the surround I use rubber-based glue to try and retain a bit of flexibility.