Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:33:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Joe Davisson's new Guitar amp

Started by syndromet, August 10, 2006, 02:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Quote from: Joe on August 16, 2009, 09:45:36 PM
Thought I would try it this way, since the transformers are from RS, and only $10 a piece. Also, I think it will bump the output some.

Let me know how it works out.  I've thought about using the same setup with those transformers for a LM3886 project.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Joe

Put another pic up of the board/heatsink. Just a layout, will solder the parts this weekend. You can see the protection circuit on the right-hand side.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/dc_wip.html

joecool85

Quote from: Joe on August 22, 2009, 12:55:22 AM
Put another pic up of the board/heatsink. Just a layout, will solder the parts this weekend. You can see the protection circuit on the right-hand side.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/dc_wip.html

That looks great!  Good job, Joe!
thatraymond.com

Joe

I tested the amp today, although it's sorta tacked together at the moment and not at all pretty. I designed it to be compatible with a pedal circuit, so that's what I used for a preamp. Sounded pretty good distorted, but I still need to run a clean tone and see how that works out.

My NPN and PNP transistors were mismatched, so there was about 2V offset. I adjusted one of the emitter resistors on the first stage to compensate, but I really think all complementary pairs need to be matched. (Not all the transistors, just each NPN/PNP pair.)

The power supply uses the two radio shack transformers, two bridge rectifiers wired in series, and two 4700uF filter caps & some bleeder resistors.

Edit: Tested the short circuit protection with a screwdriver across the speaker leads, and it works good. Did a little more play testing and am happy with the sound. So it's a matter of wiring some things nicer and tweaking the bias a little.

joecool85

Quote from: Joe on August 24, 2009, 03:55:02 PM
I tested the amp today, although it's sorta tacked together at the moment and not at all pretty. I designed it to be compatible with a pedal circuit, so that's what I used for a preamp. Sounded pretty good distorted, but I still need to run a clean tone and see how that works out.

My NPN and PNP transistors were mismatched, so there was about 2V offset. I adjusted one of the emitter resistors on the first stage to compensate, but I really think all complementary pairs need to be matched. (Not all the transistors, just each NPN/PNP pair.)

The power supply uses the two radio shack transformers, two bridge rectifiers wired in series, and two 4700uF filter caps & some bleeder resistors.

Edit: Tested the short circuit protection with a screwdriver across the speaker leads, and it works good. Did a little more play testing and am happy with the sound. So it's a matter of wiring some things nicer and tweaking the bias a little.

You should enter this one in the contest!  Also, once you get it a little more finished I would love to hear a clip or two.
thatraymond.com

Brymus

Radio Shack is gonna wonder why they are selling so many of those trannys soon  :tu:
Again excellent Joe- I imagine alot people will try this one.

Joe

Joe

Another update:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/sch/diodepwr.html
(might have to reload the image)

Did some better parts selection, otherwise not too much different.

Brymus

Hi Joe really cool.
Are those all Radio Shack components?
That would make this really easy for anyone to build.

Joe

I tried to design a "radio-shack" amp before. It's almost possible, but would be more expensive than jusr ordering better stuff.

joecool85

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2009, 09:15:53 PM
I tried to design a "radio-shack" amp before. It's almost possible, but would be more expensive than jusr ordering better stuff.

How well are those transformers working out for you?
thatraymond.com

Joe

The transformers are working great for this, I'll be posting the complete "radio shack" power supply soon!

Brymus

I was eyeing them at RS this afternoon.
Thats really sweet idea you had using two of them at 10$ each hard to beat that price.

I am dying to hear what this amp sounds like.

Joe

Brymus

Oh thats quite a coincidence.
I just picked up those RS trannies today.I was gonna try em with my lm3886 but...
Any chance I could get one?